Strawberry wine- smell is odd

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could be as well. I was reading about the acids in strawberry and noticed on wikipedia it says that you can make an acid indicator of strawberry juice. This tells us something I think. Could be that the color will change depending on how acidic your fruit and or must is? I just need to find out how the juice indicator works, if it goes lighter with acid or base.. Does it turn blue like cabbage juice etc. I'll bet this will tell us how to manipulate the color.

These do grow true from seed. They don't produce runners at all, so I can't imagine how you'd ever get them otherwise. I was mistaken in the color maybe though, just checked the seed packet and they are an alpine berry called "yellow wonder". http://www.rareseeds.com/yellow-wonder-wild-strawberry/

I am thinking pineberry perhaps, the white berry with the red seeds? I have an alpine-type too, pineapple crush. Looking forward to growing more of them.

The color of the finished strawberry wine has a lot to do with the cultivar of berry being used (you can find case studies on color retention in strawberry ferments, etc). There is a specific type of anthocyanin maybe, I think that was what I read a few months ago, which impacts color retention. And the berry either has it or it does not. Then you have to consider the yeast being used. And as always the quality, ripeness and quantity of fruit factor in to the big picture.

I once read an article that said it was called a strawberry because the juice was light orange, straw colored. Strawberries were not always red, they were orange too...and they are making a comeback.

The evolution of the strawberry.

I haven't heard about any anthocyanin until I just dug this up

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031942203006381

From what I can understand or at least what I think I'm understanding, LOL, from this article is that the acidity of the fruit makes a difference on the color.

Besides that and on top of the points Saramc made, oxidation and UV rays can change the color too.

IMO, the list as it would pertain to color in order would be:
-type
-ripeness (and quality)
-quantity per gallon
-pH
-oxidation level
-light exposure

As for my personal experiences with strawberry, mine has always looked like JSwordy's pics. If you were to look at them with a light behind a clear bottle (mine are all gone now), you could see an orange hue/glow through the red.

Latest posts

Back