strawberry wine and acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakhunter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I have about 68# of strawberries in a primary with pectinase and KMeta, and the pH is at 3.7.

Quick question: How much CaCO3 do I need to add to bring pH down to 3.55?

Thanks!

You do not use Calcium Carbonate! You need to use Tartaric or and acid blend, to achieve your goal. What are your Total Acid? Cheer!

Yep. 7 is the middle of the pH scale, you want to bring that number down that means you want more acid. Above 7 is alkaline or basic.

What a dope! I know better than that. I know 3.7 is LESS acidic than 3.55. Sorry, everyone. I was just expecting it to be too acidic/sharp so Assumed I would have to make it more alkaline.

So my new question is, should I leave it at 3.7 and consider myself lucky and go with the less acidic must, or should I add some tartaric acid to bring it to the 3.4-3.55 are that people seem to recommend?

dralarms, I have usually seen people suggest 3.5 ish for strawberry as it can be quite sharp. How does your 3.4 pH taste and how much do you back-sweeten if at all?

Thanks!

How does the juice taste at that PH? I think it's a tad high. We shoot for 3.4 to 3.5 Be aware that if you leave it at 3.7, you'll need more sulfite for preservation---about 65 PPM.

The juice is a little tart. I BOMBED it with KMeta (about 70 ppm). I didn't take an OSG until last night, because it was about 35 degrees when I put it all in the primary. Last night it was 1.03 at 62F! That is not much sugar. I can't imaging ithad started fermenting yet as it was so cold, and also had all that KMeta. I decided not to pitch the yeast until I figured it out. I will recheck this morning. SHould I add a ton of sugar to bring it up to 1.080 or so?

Oh yeah, pH now reads 3.5-3.6

You might be happy with that PH. No need to lower it unless the juice tastes a little too flabby at the current PH.

The beginning SG is most likely just from the sugars of the fruit. Go ahead and add sugar to get the SG to your target potential alcohol content. 11-12% ABV is fine.

Latest posts

Back