Strawberry wine again....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osborngj

Reaction score
I just transferred my strawberry and degassed it. I did a taste test. I can't even describe the flavor. My wifes description was a cheap wine cooler. We used honey as the sweetener.

Has anyone who has made a strawberry wine had this experience?

Main ingrediants.
22lbs starwberries
8 lbs honey
water
and all the usual ingredienats (acid blend, yeast nutrient, campden tablets.....)

How many gallons are you making?

if doing 3 gallons that is probably good - but if you are doing 5 or 6 gallons - you are way low on fruit.

I would do a flavor pac to get some more strawberry flavor in.

Does you wife mean a wine cooler b/c lack of flavor or low ABV?

Fruit wines shouldn't be high in ABV - takes away from the flavor.

It is a 3 gallon batch. Does ABV = alcohol by volume? After fermentation we are around 8-9% alcohol. Current SG is 1.002. It started around 1.085.

Not sure how to do a flavor pack? Never done one.

F-pack

Sounds like your abv (alch. by vol, yep) is in the right ballpark. Strawberries however, contain a good bit of water and can provide a bit of a weak flavor unless you crank the lbs/gallon up. An f-pack should bring the wine more inline with what you're looking for...

It is a 3 gallon batch. Does ABV = alcohol by volume? After fermentation we are around 8-9% alcohol. Current SG is 1.002. It started around 1.085.

Not sure how to do a flavor pack? Never done one.

Is the gravity constant at 1.002 ?

If not , why didn't you let the fermentation come to an End before degassing the Wine ?!

Besides , degassing a Wine tends to "flatten" its taste for a couple of months . Therefore , after degassing , the Wine

should sit for at least one month under Airlock to recover from the Procedure .

Then you can taste it and do any adjusting , if needed .

Hector

I make alot of Strawberry.

You will need a f-pac. Maybe a little backsweetening

Latest posts

Back