Strawberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojak

Reaction score
I've done about 4 kits now along with too much Skeeter Pee for my own good. I'm about to come into 36lbs of strawberries next week. Any suggestions?

MAKE SOME WINE!!!:h

I just bottled a batch 3 days ago MMM MMM MMM.

I also like it with rhubarb if you can get it at a reasonable price.

5-6 gallons of strawberry wine anyone? Great one to start on fruit on!

What i'd do is get the strawberries, cut the tops off.. Then mash whats left, add pectic enzyme and some ice cubes in a ziplock bag (make sure it doesnt have holes) - it'll sweat a bit, adding minimal water, but better than all that ice melting into the must.

The ice will help keep it cooler, so fermentation doesnt kick right off, giving the pectic enzyme more time to work.

When its practically soup, take the ice out & let it warm to room temp. Add your sugar to SG1.085, and yeast energizer & nutrient. Then i'd probably go with 1122 for a yeast.

I wouldnt actually add any water to the wine at all, just ferment it as it is. Maybe get 2-3 gallons, but it'd be killer.

I still say you'd have at least 5 gal. But for the record... if the ice bag is in the must it won't sweat... Ice sweats when its in open air....

(Just HAD to correct Deez....)

I just bottled a batch of strawberry a few months ago, I think it was one of my best ones yet! I used about 5#/gallon, then had to do a good strong f-pac and it came out really good! I'd recommend using ascorbic acid a few times throughout the process for color, I did and it came out BRIGHT red! It looks like red kool aid. :) I can't wait to go picking again in June and start my next batch.

I agree with Deezil--you have enough poundage for about 3 gallons of wine. If you dilute them down to make 5 gallons, the wine will be very weak tasting and lacking in color. We always plan on 10# per gallon.

So for my strawberry batch I've got about 4-4.5 gals just about cleared. I couldn't help myself. I added about a gallon or so of water and some sugar. What I've got now is lightly strawberry flavored rocket fuel! It's at about 20% or so. Ha! Color is a beautiful red. I also ended up making a Skeeter Pee off the must. I'm thinking about bottling some of the strawberry straight and also adding some to the skeeter pee level everybody out. Thank for all the tips!

Your wine is probably like "rocket fuel" because it is so young. I'd cork with #9 x 1.75 inch for max seal, then hide two bottles and keep one to open at a year and one to open at two years.

When you open the one-year bottle, you will be shocked at how the alcohol has "rounded off." That will encourage you to make some more as soon as you can get the fruit. When you open the two-year bottle, you will kick yourself for not keeping them ALL that long. Fortunately, your latest batch will be coming along by then at a year itself. Very hard for a bottle to last more than a year at my place, but usually worth it.

Many intricate things happen to the liquid in a wine bottle, not all of which are fully explained by chemistry. It is as near to alchemy as possible, I think!

Latest posts

Back