Strange taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsassy2

Reaction score
I gave a friend a bottle of wine that we had made. He said that he had pour it into a stainless steal coffee type mug with a cover and taken a couple of sips and really liked the wine. He said he had a couple more sips, and it still was very tasty. He then said he put it down for a couple of minutes, total time from pour to last taste that had a problem was 30 minutes. When he took another sip the taste had changed to a real bad taste, he said almost a vinegary taste. We also had a bottle last night from the same batch and we did not have bad tasting. Since I am a newbie at making wines, can a wine change its taste that fast? The friend and I were discussing this morning what could there be the problem: 1. a reaction between the metal cup and the wine. 2. Something on the cover of the cup ( his wife may have washed it in vinegar and he didn't rinse it off) 3. Or something is going wrong with this batch.

Here is the information on the wine
Kit: Vintners Reserve Coastal Red
Followed the directions with the kit.
Beginning SG: 1.110
Ending SG: 1.000
PH reading 3.41
Sweetened to 1.014
Bottled on February 15, 2015

I would appreciate any comment that anyone has concerning this. He is going to do a trial test tonight by pouring some into a glass glass and some into the offending cup and see is it happens again.

Can it turn to vinegar within 30 minutes?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Janice

My bet would be that the cup he used was not stainless steel but rather an alloy containing aluminum. The acid in the wine reacted with the alloy and created the off flavor. Glass all the way if you want the best. Just sayin

Thank you for your response. I will let him know. If there is anything with the wine that is the only bottle so far.

Back