Strange tartaric participate??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopez

Junior
Reaction score
I racked off a 5 gal carboy of Concord that I started in October. This is the 3rd racking and when I got close to the bottom I noticed what looked like a piece of garden string looped up. Then I saw 4 or 5 more. It looked so much like it that I was trying to think of ways I left string in the carboy??? Well, after transfer I took it to the sink for a closer inspection and it was what appeared to be tartaric acid crystals that dropped out and took that shape?? I didn't get a picture, but has anyone seen anything like this before? Any thoughts? It felt just like the dusting of crystals you would normally see, only in looped stringlike structures.

Thanks for any input.

For reference, it's Walkers Concord juice and I used a normal Red Star yeast. Its at .999 and completely worked out.

Hmmmm protein can form strings but not crystals....

Is it possible that it is a result of nucleation? Have a look at the surface of the bottom of your carboy. Is there any kind of grooves or imperfections in the glass that has the same pattern as your "Strings"?

Latest posts

Back