Straining Bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are a brave man Wade E. Here in Louisiana, we don't tie food to our waist when we get in the water. Well..... My buddy used to. Till something ripped it off of him and ate all his fish.

i use a wade bag, a styrofoam donut with a net attached to hold the fish.attached to a long rope, with a slip knot, in case a shark graps the fish bag.

I bought some more bags on Friday. The bag that I used for the fig wine wasn't as bad as I thought. I washed it and that solved my problem. I'm back in business.

I pulled the fruit bag out of the DB the other day. At first I thought it was a lost cause. But after a good washing I am thinking it can go a few more rounds. Nylon bag from the LHBS for about $5. I am liking the idea of the cheap paint strainer bags going forward...

get the big 5 gallon ones, home depot, was 3.97 for pack of 2, they have an elastic band that fits around the bucket...

Don't rely on that elastic band if the strainer bag doesn't reach the bottom of your primary.

When you're pouring blueberry wine through the bag it will snap off the bucket rim covering your kitchen in blueberry wine spatter, and your wife will be none too happy, trust me. :)

cedarswamp said:
Don't rely on that elastic band if the strainer bag doesn't reach the bottom of your primary.

When you're pouring blueberry wine through the bag it will snap off the bucket rim covering your kitchen in blueberry wine spatter, and your wife will be none too happy, trust me. :)

This is why I use the strainer like a can liner. When I'm ready I slowly pull the bag out of the bucket and fold it to the center as I pull.

I am having a heck of a time cleaning these straining bags. I am working with muscadine now and the pulp is a killer. I can't get the pulp out. HELP !!!!!!!!

My last resort was putting them in the washing machine. They are soaking as we speak. Not sure how it will turn out.

What can I do??????????? I'm ready to throw them out and get new ones.

I turn mine inside out, rinse them off and put them in the washing machine, they come out clean.

Mine are a plastic bag of sorts and it cleans very well. I purchased them
From McMaster Carr - all different micron size ratings.
I know I posted a pic on my Facebook page - if interested

I have used straining bags a couple of times but I throw them out and buy new. Can't image trying to get all the junk out. I have used the cheaper muslin bags and nylon paint straining bags from Home Depot.

they clean out very easy by laying it on the concrete and blasting them with the hose pipe.

they clean out very easy by laying it on the concrete and blasting them with the hose pipe.

Todd that is exactly what I did for the first bunch of bags. And it worked like a charm. I didn't try it with the 2nd bunch because it was late last night and you can imagine the mosquitoes in Louisiana, so I didn't want to go outside but I think I'm going to try that again.

Runningwolf said:
I buy 5 gallon paint strainer bags from Home Depot and toss them after pressing. If I used them a lot I might try to save them.

Me too. Only I buy them at menards when they are on sale. $.75 cents a bag. I'm not washing them.

Latest posts

Back