Straining bag vs. free range

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there might be any difference in taste, mouthfeel , color or other properties when using a bag versus dumping the fruit into the primary. I know Free range is messier when going to the secondary. I use knee-high nylons for the straining bag. Works great. Looks gross!

I've done it both ways. It is definitely easier to use the straining bag from the beginning. One of the things you have to do is try to keep the straining bag submerged. You can use a plate (sterilized, of course). The CO2 really will supply a lot of lift. You may want to try 2 plates.

I have noticed no difference in taste or color either way.

Paint bags from Ace Hardware work well also and may be a little cheaper than pantyhose. :)

I would use the paint bags before the pantyhose. The 5 gallon bags will allow the best of both worlds - easy clean up and loose skins for better extraction.
I just dump the whole thing in the fermenter and have never had any trouble when racking.

vcasey said:
I would use the paint bags before the pantyhose. The 5 gallon bags will allow the best of both worlds - easy clean up and loose skins for better extraction.
I just dump the whole thing in the fermenter and have never had any trouble when racking.

+1

You folks had me going there for a bit. I had never heard of "paint bags". So I went to a store that sold paint, lumber,etc. All I got was a shrug. Same at another place. Finally went to a place that sells only paint. He didn't know about them either. But after talking about it for a while we came to the conclusion what I wanted was a "paint straining bag". The light came on! The 5 gallon size is $2.50. And reusable. Thanks to all.
Now I will start another batch of berry medley.

The only problem with using pantyhose is your wife's legs turning red.
smiley3.gif

Newbie question...I assume you have to sterilize the bag first correct? How do you go about doing that???

I wash it real good in oxyclean. Rinse, then put it in a cup with K-Meta for about five minutes and then squeeze out excess. Add fruit and put it in the must.

pracz said:
Newbie question...I assume you have to sterilize the bag first correct? How do you go about doing that???
I keep a squirt bottle of k-meta handy. A few squeezes and let it sit a few minutes and then use it. Haven't tried the paint bag yet but will do the same thing as with the nylons.
BTW. Where is a good wine supply place in the area?? Heading there next month.

barryjo said:
BTW. Where is a good wine supply place in the area?? Heading there next month.

Well...There are not many. I know of a place in Tempe called Brewer's Connection. It has been a while since I have been there. They seemed to have a good selection of equipment. Not to sure about the wine kits and ingredients. However, that was quite a while ago. Things might have chanced. It would be worth stopping in.

pracz said:

I ask my wife toput onthe pantyhose have a shower and give it back to me.
smiley4.gif

The reason I ask is that I live nearly 200 miles from a store. So when I travel, I always check out the options.
As most of us know, the shipping is getting really crazy. I had a 4# order sent and the bill was $25 and the shipping was $11.
I sure wish I lived closer to Carrolton but that is not an option.
Maybe I should try to find a reason!!!

barryjo said:
I bought a half dozen knee highs at 3 pair for a dollar. At Walgreens.
Not sure but I think I saw them 4/$ a while back. Didn't need them then!
And what size are you???
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back