Straining Bag Full - Stuffed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClydeWigg3

Reaction score
This is my second year of making blueberry wine. This year I increased my fruit to 30 pounds for 5 gallons. I was going to use more, but my bag is full - actually had to put about 2 pounds of puree into a second bag. Without a wine press, is there any secret to mashing the juice out of this. There's no way the yeast will be able to circulate in that fully packed bag, is there?

I had the same problem with my strawberry and had to use 2 bags. Use pectin and it will break down the berries. And the yeast or start yeast sprinkled or poured on top of the bags. Make sure you push the bags down in the must a couple of times a day once you see fermentation starting. Mine was just fine by doing the above.

This is my second year of making blueberry wine. This year I increased my fruit to 30 pounds for 5 gallons. I was going to use more, but my bag is full - actually had to put about 2 pounds of puree into a second bag. Without a wine press, is there any secret to mashing the juice out of this. There's no way the yeast will be able to circulate in that fully packed bag, is there?
Well I've been reading a lot of posts. Some suggest that you:
Each day, do the following, in this order:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter. Place friut pack: Temporarily in sanitized bucket.
Stir primary vigorously: To introduce oxygen into must.
Replace fruit pack.
This gets the juice out of the packs and into the must, allowing additional yeast to reach into the F-pack. I just squeezed a pack. I would wear sanitized/rubber gloves, if I were you.
I sanitized my hands, but they are now a shade of cherry blush. On days I don't want to squeeze, I use a sanitized spoon to push pack down and gently press it down on the bottom of bucket, making sure not to break open the pack. Since your's are so full you most likely will be squeezing. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Next time, just put your berries directly in the must. Mash them up in gallon freezer bags or the store bags they came in first. If canned, smash them with a sanitized potato masher.

Punch down cap every day and stir well. When fermentation noticeably slows, pour liquid into another bucket that has been fitted with a washed and sanitized 5-gallon paint strainer. Lift strainer and twist to release juices. Discard.

If your wine is really heavy with fruit, it may take 2 strainers to make the process easier to do and maximize juice extraction.

Allow resulting wine to sit for 24 hours to settle. Take SG reading. If acceptable, rack into carboy.

Latest posts

Back