WineXpert Straight to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippie

Reaction score
George and anyone else, what are your thoughts on starting a 6 gallon kit in a 6.5 gallon carboy? I might do that in the morning. I gotta get that Gewurtztraminer going before it gets too old, and the wife and her friends are getting grouchy about it.

Youcan start your wine in a 6.5-gallon as long as you still only add enough water to bring the volume up to 6 gallons. You don't need to concern yourself with topping off until you stabilize. If you still need to use the 6.5 gallon after you stabilize, be sure to use some like wine to top off. Don't over dilute it and you should be fine.

OK, I was just wondering if you thought it might foam too much. The house is 74*F.

I did not think about the foaming. Do you have a something you can put the carboy in, so if it does foam over, it will catch the foam? I wish I had paid attention to the foaming when I made my Gewurtz., but I usually just start them and leave them alone until day 6. Some of the kits foam to the lid, others only an inch or 2. Be sure to leave the stopper off; otherwise, you will have one messy stopper if it does overflow.

Latest posts

Back