Storing Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winofarmer

Confused Rookie
Reaction score
Finally got my wine rack filled back up,going to have to store some bottled wine in boxes do I store them upright or on there side ??? Pros and cons...

Finally got my wine rack filled back up,going to have to store some bottled wine in boxes do I store them upright or on there side ??? Pros and cons...

I store mine either on their side or up side down just so the corks stay moist.

For corks made of cork, the first 2 days to a week after bottling a wine, it should be left upright. After that wine should always be stored lying on its side. If left standing up, the cork will dry out andthe wine will oxidize.

This is not as critical if using fully artificial corks. With them, I think it doesn't matter, since keeping the corks wet is not necessary.

Ideally I'd like to find a synthetic cork that allowed me to store right side up. Otherwise on its side to keep the cork moist. Guessing upside down would be just fine ifin there was no chance of bottle sedimentation.

EDIT: robie posted as I was typing... What she(?) said...

Last edited:
Well, I store all mine right side up in the box. I just opened a 1 year old concord grape (it had not been shook up, tilted, ETC) and the bottom of the cork was damp and smelled like my wine.

Well, I store all mine right side up in the box. I just opened a 1 year old concord grape (it had not been shook up, tilted, ETC) and the bottom of the cork was damp and smelled like my wine.

In many cases that will work for a year, no problem. After several years when the cork dries out, it will shrink considerably. Even though the wine may not last that long anyway, eventually the cork will fall down into the wine.

If Im planing on aging wine for a year or more I lay mine on their side in one of those Rubbermaid tubs slap a lid on it to keep out the light , date it and slide it in a cool dark area and leave it for a year or two.
My quick drinkers, I have wine wracks and when I run out of room on those I put them back in the box the bottles came in upside down and label the box's and slide them under my wine table for now.

Latest posts

Back