Stopper in the carboy.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwards

Reaction score
I must have used a wrong sized bung with an airlock in one of my carboys. I went to pull it out the other day and the airlock came out, leaving the stopper behind. As I tried to work the thing out, I only managed to push it inside all the way. Bummer.
Wine is safely stoppered, but the first bung is still in there. Should I worry about rubbery flavors? Rack it right away into another or let it continue clearing with the dang thing in there?

Also, how the heck will I get that out later when it is empty?

:)

dang, that is a quacmirer. are how ever you spell it.
is it a glass carboy, are plastic.
I hate the way the bungs smell first off..I would rack to something else, and get off the bung.
As far as getting it out.....well, good luck is in order..
maybe a clothes hanger with a hook on the end, and try to get it out small end first...dunno...

Thanks for that. I will rack it right away, just to be on the safe side. Worry about the bung later, lol.

You can use this tool to remove the stopper from the carboy, also used to remove corks that fall in the wine bottle. I got mine from Fine Vine Wine but your local shop should have them also. There is also a plastic bag trick that works on bottles that might work with a carboy. Someone might have the link to the utube video.

7152wine.jpg

Oh! I've seen the waiter trick to get a cork from a bottle with a dish towel. I will try that. It is a glass carboy, realized I never answered that before. Wine is racked into a fresh and clean one.

You need to buy universal bungs, they won't slip into you carboy and are a lot easier to get out.

I have some of those too Julie, but I honestly haven't liked them as much. They seem to retain some kind of shape memory of the last carboy they were in, and since my 6.5 gallons have a different sized opening I feel like they are too loose when I put them in a 5 later. Have you not had this problem? Maybe I'm just over worried about that.

I have some of those too Julie, but I honestly haven't liked them as much. They seem to retain some kind of shape memory of the last carboy they were in, and since my 6.5 gallons have a different sized opening I feel like they are too loose when I put them in a 5 later. Have you not had this problem? Maybe I'm just over worried about that.

Yep, I have noticed and aggravated by the universals also. BUT I hate the smell and taste of the rubber ones too. So I keep several universal ones and try to mix and match them to the carboys once they develop that memory issue. It's sad when my stoppers have better memory than I do!:)

This is my preferred tool to remove corks from empty wine bottles.
Works every time....LMAO!

hammer.jpg

Back