Stiring Yeast or Not

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannew

Reaction score
I just started my second kit (Winexpert Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay) and the instructions states specifically not to stir once the yeast is added.

Instructions on my first kit (Onyx Cabernet Sauvignon) says to stir after adding yeast and stir twice a day for the 5 day period.

We have followed the instruction for both, but wonder why there would be a difference?

I just started my second kit (Winexpert Island Mist Peach Apricot Chardonnay) and the instructions states specifically not to stir once the yeast is added.

Instructions on my first kit (Onyx Cabernet Sauvignon) says to stir after adding yeast and stir twice a day for the 5 day period.

We have followed the instruction for both, but wonder why there would be a difference?

Total newbie here and in the last few days I have read a ton of recipes and instructions ....seems like the best is to go with whatever that particular lable says...just my opinion. Mixture of science and art at best. I am hooked :)

I thought you were supposed to stir to get the yeast some oxygen? I stir all my kits so far with no problems. I also check the SG everyday too so I can see what's going on.

Cannew, check your instructions. I have seen some that say not to stir the yeast when you first pitch it but that is not necessarliy to say not to stir it after fermentation starts. I feel it is a good practice to stir the yeast daily in primary fermentation. What this does is to get the "yeasties" that have settled snugly on the bottom of your fermenter and are no longer contributing, back into the ball game.

Total newbie here and in the last few days I have read a ton of recipes and instructions ....seems like the best is to go with whatever that particular lable says...just my opinion. Mixture of science and art at best. I am hooked :)

I guess I am really going out on a limb with fresh/frozen berry wines and an Elderberry/Grape! :)

Follow the instructions however stirring your must will do several things.
1-move your yeast to new food (sugar).
2-mix in some much needed oxygen
3-add flavor to the wine from dead yeasts and pulp
4-degass CO2 out a little at a time
5-release heat from your primary
6-it will keep any pulp or fruit moist thus preventing oxidation which can lead to aceto bacteria attacking your wine (vinegar)
7-and however odd it sounds it will keep your yeasts from becoming stressed. Stressed yeast will give off sulfur (not sulfite) which can lead to problems such as stuck fermentations.

Kit makers have planned their directions out carefully but sometimes they can be difficult to understand. Read carefully and monitor your must daily. When in doubt stir gently

Follow the instructions however stirring your must will do several things.
1-move your yeast to new food (sugar).
2-mix in some much needed oxygen
3-add flavor to the wine from dead yeasts and pulp
4-degass CO2 out a little at a time
5-release heat from your primary
6-it will keep any pulp or fruit moist thus preventing oxidation which can lead to aceto bacteria attacking your wine (vinegar)
7-and however odd it sounds it will keep your yeasts from becoming stressed. Stressed yeast will give off sulfur (not sulfite) which can lead to problems such as stuck fermentations.

Kit makers have planned their directions out carefully but sometimes they can be difficult to understand. Read carefully and monitor your must daily. When in doubt stir gently

Ditto to that....

djrockinsteve

Thanks for the positives and I guess the "stir gently" is the key phrase if I decide to stir when it says not to.

Thanks

I agree with Rocky.

Don't stir the yeast in; let it set on top and sink when it wants.
Once fermentation starts, you should stir everyday until you move the wine to secondary and add an air lock.

Wine in primary needs oxygen for the yeast to work well. (Called the aerobic stage or phase of fermentation)
Wine in secondary should be kept from oxygen as best you can; that's why you add the air lock. (Called anaerobic stage)

Latest posts

Back