STILL too much acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banannabiker

Reaction score
I made up a batch of skeeter pee-using lemon juice and some other citris juices (pinapple, orange, & fruit punch). It has been over 6 months now since I started the batch. At 4 months I tested the acid and found it to be about 1% Tartarin-which i know is high. I added a campton tablet and 1/4 tsp of Potassium Sorbate/gallon, waited 10 days, and then added 3 cups of sugar (dissolved/cooked in 3 cups of water) to sweeten the wine. When I tasted the wine a few days ago-the acid smell burned my nose-so I added 3 tsp of Potassium Bicarbonate and stirred it well. It then tested at .825% Tartarin. I added 2 more tsp of Pot Bicarb and it still tests at about .8% acid on the Tartarin scale. My bottle of Pot Bicar says not to add too much, but doesn't say what the consequences will be. What the Pot Bicarb bottle actually says is "3.4 grms/gallon will reduce acidity aprox .1% DO NOT reduce more than .3 or .4%. 1 tsp=.6/.8 grams-i can't tell whether the number is a .6 or a .8)
The strong acid smell seems to have largely gone away, but "by the book", the acid is still too high. Would you recommend adding more Pot Bicarb till I get the acid down to .6 or .65? Will there be negative consequences?

Forgot some info

I forgot to mention that the batch size is right at 4 gallons. So I've added 5 tsp of Potassium Bicarbonate to 4 gallons of wine...

taste

It doesn't really taste acidic any more...which is another reason I am hesitant to add any more acid reducer.

IIRC, k-carbonate doesn't reduce citric - citric acid is probably the predominant acid in your wine. I would consider adding sweetness to balance against the acid, or maybe set it aside and do a lower acid batch to blend it with.

Back