Still Not Clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enologo

Reaction score
Still not clear (pun intended) on this. F packs, Grape packs, Dried skin packs, I am assuming are to simulate fermenting on the skins if you were making wine from grapes. How does this differ from adding raisins essentially dried skins and pulp? Is it just a matter of additional juice with these other treatments? Though this, I assume would not be the case with a dried skin pack. Forgive my ignorance,still trying to unravel the mysteries. :h

Adding grape skin packs can add body and mouth feel to a wine, most high end kits have grape skin packs included, fresh grape skin packs can add color and astringency as well.
Fpacks are in essence, fruit packs, these will add more of the desired fruit flavors, potentially mouth feel and body.
Raisins have their place in certain wine, there are pros and cons to them, but this isn't a debate that I want to open up again.
Never hesitate to ask questions, we all can learn from each other, when you find someone that claims to know it all...run the other way.

raisin are usually added to fruit wines to increase body due to tannins in grapes. grape skins in wine kits are there for same reason to add tannins. With the increase in powdered tannins on market the same results can be obtained using these tannins post fermentation. tannins are made for both fruit and grape wines. F-pacs add flavor and also sweeting to wine.
Check out scott labs web site about tannins.

Latest posts

Back