Starting S.G. wrong... will it cause a prblem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppa

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all. New to this. Only made 2 kits so far.

I am making a Vintner's reserve shiraz, and the instructions said the starting S.G. Should be between 1.075 and 1.092. After adding my water to the 6 gal mark, the S.G. is 1.068... Will that be an issue? The last two kits fell easily in that range.

Q: Do i need to correct the S.G. and how is that done? Is it a matter of adding sugar? What amount might do that?

Thanks for any help!
Rob

Poppa:

This is a fairly common question. Did you stir the the water and concentrate (and bentonite) well to ensure that everything was mixed well? You should be stirring the must vigourously before pitching the yeast to ensure full mixing and to incorporate oxygen into the must for the yeast.

If you didn't the kit may be layered, with a lighter (ie lower sg) level on the top. This isn't actually a problem for the yeast, but it does lead to low sg readings.

I would suggest stirring well (especially if you haven't pitched the yeast), and taking another reading. If you have pitched the yeast can you take a reading from lower down in the primary?

Steve

It is a little low, are you sure you stirred it really good as water is lighter then the concentrate and can stay on top giving you a false reading or you could have added a little more water. In that case you could add some inverted sugar meaning dissolved in boiling water.

Edit: Looks like Steve was quicker on the draw! LOL

If your sure that it's mixed and you are low on the Starting S.G. I'd add about 2.25 Lbs to bring it up close to 1.085

Thanks for the replies...

DOH! Yep, i forgot to stir it. Took areading down low and it's 1.087.

I have addded the yeast. Can i still stir the thing now?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back