Starting a must before traveling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoneCreek

Reaction score
I am getting ready to start my second batch of wine in a few days when my primary becomes available. I currently have Dave's DB going and I am just waiting on the "3 days with no SG change" to rack it to the secondary per instructions. Today I have gone out picking Prickly Pears and currently have them in the freezer so I can start a batch of Prickly Pear Wine. I will be leaving to go out of town Friday afternoon and do not plan on returning until the following Monday. If I start this new batch next week, should it be okay without the daily stirrings during the first few days of fermentation or should I wait to start it upon my return. I'm okay with a slow ferment I just don't want to lose a few days of wine making.

Okay, now that I read that back it sounds pathetic and obsessive. Oh well, I am having fun!

haha you do sound like you're enjoying your new hobby David. The problem I see with just starting it and then leaving is if ferment doesn't start you won't be there to monitor. You really should punch your fruit down too but... with those in mind I don't think it would truly hurt but I think waiting a few days til you get back isn't really going to set you behind is it? lol

LOL, I hate to say this but I agree with Kim, I would wait. You have to think of it this way - the whole time you will be gone, you will think of nothing else but what is going on with your wine. :)

I see no real big problems with starting it before you leave, but why not simply start it on the Monday you get back???

Okay. I'll heed the advice of others more experienced since I am so new to this and to learn from the wizards of wine is why I'm here. I won't like it, but I'll do it. I guess it wont kill me to wait until Tuesday morning to start. This whole learning to be patient is for the birds.

Latest posts

Back