starter bottle whammy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
i like making strong starter bottles weather om making win, beer or anything that calls for yeast
i usually do 24 hr starters but i think that Rojette said that keeping the yeast stirring/ airating would give me a extremely strong starter.. my corning stirrer hotplate is intermitting and the little 4 inch on makes too much heat,

soo since i just sold th suzuki, some of the $$$ went here

DSCF0002.jpg

Wade said:
That thing is a monster Scotty!

understatement WadeThe base feels like 10 pounds. i wanted something that would not add heat so the overhead was my choice and i went way oversized to feel safe that it would not burn out when run for 24 hours.
i will use it when making some cheeses too.
but boy is it a monster
smiley36.gif

You can also use it to stir up your bentonite, stir up your KMeta or sorbate, lots more things than just stir up some yeast. How big a starter do you guys make?CC

i make a 2 liter starter. i stopped using bentonite when i found super kleer. i only make country wines any way--i once did a sangiovia kit about 5 years ago. but wine is a small part of my beverage making hobby. i just bought a book on root beer. i have a kegorator to install in a spare refrig. but it all has to wait till i ge tback from a hip replacement in 3 weeks.
i'm just starting beer--what could i use it fror beer other than the starter???

That should make for one heck of a starter!

Looks like you could make a heck of a fruit smoothie with that guy!

DSCF0003.jpg

i'm trying to get lots more knowledge about yeast and how it applys to our hobby.
i have a fairly good quality microscope and am trying to learn from what i am able to see under the microscope.
we know that a starter bottle is desireable for a few reasons. one of which being the yeast count at pitching time. to date, i cant prove anything.

Back