Started with too high of a SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
So I started out an apple wine a specific gravity of 1.15 (not intentionally). I used Montrachet yeast and after i did so I read it can only handle up to 13 or 14 % alchohol. If I do the math right and if it were to ferment dry this would be over 20% ABV. I did a SG reading tonight and it is 1.044 which means I should be around 14%. The bubbles in the secondary have slowed dramatically but the airlock still bubbles every seconds or two. Should I give it some energizer to help out or just wait and see how long it lasts and whatever it is, it is. Will I have any problems clearing it if I don't ferment to dry since I don't think it will? perhaps I won't need to back sweeten later on. Has anyone done this to see how low this yeast can go?

I'm guessing you're close to the end of fermentation and the airlock action that you're seeing is just residual co2 within the wine - it'll keep coming out for some time & helps to protect the wine some.

Energizer wont really help at this point.. You could dillute it with some apple juice and it will probably referment but you could end up with a lower residual sugar level that way & not lose flavor since its an apple wine anyways.. It'll still max out at that 13-14% ABV though

But you're right, if you do it right there's no need to backsweeten

The more I look at the hydrometer, i am starting to second guess my reading.....maybe it was 1.105?? Just doesn't seem right to have 15 cans of frozen concentrate and 6 lbs of sugar to a 5 gallon and have that high of a SG reading. If it is 1.105 and still fermenting would adding energizer be of any benefit since even with this reading I will be pushing the limits of this yeast.

Last edited:
the concentrate has a lot of sugar in it, I can see your sg getting up to 1.150 when you added 5 pounds of sugar.

How long has this been fermenting?

If you had a good ferment going, this would be about right, I would just keep an eye on it and take a reading every couple of days. Actually what I do is leave a hydrometer float in the must. I pull it out when I go to stir and drop it back in, this way I can keep a pretty good eye on the fermentation.

If you are not comfortable with reading a hydrometer yet, take a picture of the hydrometer in your must, this way when you are this point and wonder was it really that high you can look at the pic. The more you read the hydrometer the easier it becomes.

I always max out my yeast and it means I dont need to worry about re-fermentaion. If you had maxed out yeast and it sat for a week you could add all the nutriunts and more juice and I would bet $100 it would not restart. The yeast would have all died drunk and happy. Taste it, if it is to sweet for your liking, make another batch and blend it. Or give it to all the guys coming around bumming free wine

mine is still chugging away, and i started it over a week ago with EC-1118 i was shooting for 18% and i set my gravity to 1.140 only to come in the next morning to a 1.155. I am sitting at 1.055 as of last night, when i taste it its still sweet but definately has that young alcohol jumping out. I would think if you can still see it bubbling let it keep going, a couple of more days keep a check on your SG. When it comes time to backsweeten just use less sugar in the mix and more apple flavoring if its even necessary.

Back