Stalled fermentation. Recourse?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent-Brewer

Junior
Reaction score
I'm about 2 weeks into a WE Chocolate Raspberry and know that the port kits frequently stall out after chaptalization. I really babied this thing: maintained it at a steady 75, gave it some breathing room (oxygen) during the process, and made sure it got a good swirl daily to re suspend the yeast. Despite my best efforts, it's been sitting at 1.010 for 3 days. Any airlock activity is just offgassing.

Since I've also heard that the full fpack is way too sweet, do you think I have a chance at pouring off half of it to make a starter, then pitch that in the hopes of restarting fermentation? I'd still have the other half as backup.

Or, do I throw in the towel and just backsweeten it to my target FG, sacrificing some of the raspberry/chocolate flavor? I'd rather not botch a good kit.

Feb. 2 Update:
Found another thread on this topic in the Kit section: Stalled Chocolate Raspberry Port
I'll just add half the f-pack, wait a couple weeks to check the taste, and go from there. If I don't need to add more of the pack, I'll try to ferment the remainder down at low temperature to preserve more of the flavor/smell. If it works out, I may add it to the bulk of the port. After all, no sense in letting it go to waste.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back