WineXpert Stalled Clearing ??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceboy

Junior
Reaction score
My first mistake was buying this kit.... I have a WE VR Pinot Grigio....

Heres where Im at (pleae note this is my 3rd kit so Im a newbie aat this)...

- added clearing chems
- let sit for 3 weeks
- rackedinto clean carboy
- let sit for 1 week and no further sediment/clering has happend.

I just hit it for a couple minutes with the drill/mixer with the hopes that will help.

Any suggestions?

This is actually one of the few Vintner's Reserve kits I liked and would make again. It was a very good wine. So anyway, you added the clearing chemicals. Did you add the K-Meta and Sorbate first? What is the temp of the wine? If it's too cold it will take forever to clear. Warm it up to around 75 F if it isn't already and that will help clearing.

I also made this and it was OK according to my wife (I don't really like whites). We wanted some wine to use for cooking and occasional white drinking.

smurfe said:
This is actually one of the few Vintner's Reserve kits I liked and would make again. It was a very good wine. So anyway, you added the clearing chemicals. Did you add the K-Meta and Sorbate first? What is the temp of the wine? If it's too cold it will take forever to clear. Warm it up to around 75 F if it isn't already and that will help clearing.

Smurfe - Happy Mardi Gras to ya!!!!

Thanks.... thats good to know. Hope I have the same experience with it. Have heard so/sothings about these kits - local shop was out of the CC and I needed to get it started - could not wait on shipping from George.

That must be the issue - wine is at about 63-65 right now. I moved closer to the heat and will wait and see what happens.

Thanks for the help....

Yes, temps will play a big role in clearing. Did you degas your wine at warmer temps cause if not it probably didnt degas well either, Degassing should be done at around 75* otherwise the C0 will not come out of suspensoin and that will also limit your clearing abilities.

Dido on the temps, as I never degas under 75 degrees and always have success above that range. Super Kleer will probably save your day. Here's what it did for my stubborn peach wine in just 48 hours:

20100219_104636_various_020.jpg

Mike -

You're like a walking endorsement for SuperKleer now. How's the sponsorship working out for you?
smiley2.gif

- Jim

Yep, SuperKleer is my hero when time and everything else failed. When i buy a kit and it comes with anything else I throw it in the garbage and let time do its thing and if time just wont handle it or I need a carboy badly then out comes the SuperKleer thats always in my drawer of goodies to the rescue!

Latest posts

Back