Stabilizing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lopez

Junior
Reaction score
I understand why stabilizing is required and how to do it. BUT, what is the benefit of stabilizing shortly after primary when the SG is at the desired level of .0990-.0996? Why wouldn't you just let the wine bulk age sans stabilizing and if you plan to backsweeten stabilize at that point? Or, if its destined to be a dry, why stabilize at all?

thanks for any input.

(note -I leave my wines in bulk age for 1 year+)

I usually wait until the wine is reasonably clear before I add sorbate/backsweeten. I find I'm better able to judge how much I want to backsweeten when the wine has a bit of age.

The down side to waiting is that time is added to the overall timeline - backsweetening can result in another sediment throw-off. Backsweetening early seems to help wine clear faster, IME.

By waiting, I sometimes decide to leave a batch dry that I was originally planning to sweeten.

OTOH, if I'm repeating something I've done before, I sorbate/backsweeten pretty early b/c I know how it's going to turn out. This saves time.

There is no hard, fast rule. Use the approach that you prefer for your wine.

There is no hard, fast rule. Use the approach that you prefer for your wine.

gotcha...that's what I was thinking. Everyone has their own methods. If I'm going to backsweeten I normally stabilize, wait a few weeks, sweeten and wait another week before bottling to ensure there is no haze.

I understand why stabilizing is required and how to do it. BUT, what is the benefit of stabilizing shortly after primary when the SG is at the desired level of .0990-.0996? Why wouldn't you just let the wine bulk age sans stabilizing and if you plan to backsweeten stabilize at that point? Or, if its destined to be a dry, why stabilize at all?

thanks for any input.

(note -I leave my wines in bulk age for 1 year+)

Stabilization is adding Kmeta and sometimes, depending on the instructions, need for backsweentening, and your preference, sorbate.

Your primary reason for adding Kmeta to your wine should be to protect it from bacteria/spoilage. So the idea is to get that protection as soon as possible and that is immediately after the wine becomes dry.

Delaying the addition of Kmeta can potentially be costly.

Sobate is another matter. It prevents the yeast from multiplying, so that adding a backsweetener will not restart active fermentation. Once sorbate is added, the yeast still alive, when the backsweetener is added, can still convert sugar to alcohol and CO2, but they won't be able to do it for long. As long as the wine is dry, you can delay the addition of sorbate. So, as long as sorbate is added before backsweetening, you will be fine, even if you delay backsweetening.

Stabilization is adding Kmeta and sometimes, depending on the instructions, need for backsweentening, and your preference, sorbate.

Your primary reason for adding Kmeta to your wine should be to protect it from bacteria/spoilage. So the idea is to get that protection as soon as possible and that is immediately after the wine becomes dry.

Delaying the addition of Kmeta can potentially be costly.

Sobate is another matter. It prevents the yeast from multiplying, so that adding a backsweetener will not restart active fermentation. Once sorbate is added, the yeast still alive, when the backsweetener is added, can still convert sugar to alcohol and CO2, but they won't be able to do it for long. As long as the wine is dry, you can delay the addition of sorbate. So, as long as sorbate is added before backsweetening, you will be fine, even if you delay backsweetening.

That was partially my question. I always thought stabilizing was the addition of sorbate to prevent refermenting. I always add sulfite when bulk aging for protection from bacteria and oxygen. I thought that they were adding Sorbate right after the SG gets to dry.

That was partially my question. I always thought stabilizing was the addition of sorbate to prevent refermenting. I always add sulfite when bulk aging for protection from bacteria and oxygen. I thought that they were adding Sorbate right after the SG gets to dry.

It's a matter of terminology, I guess. Typically, the sorbate is added when you add the Kmeta, as a part of the stabilizing step. Since I never make a wine that requires just backsweetening, I don't add sorbat. However, as I mentioned, I do make summer wines, which include an F pack; they of course will require sorbate.

Isn't degassing considered part of the stabilizing step? Or is it just a step which is "normally" done while stablizing?

Isn't degassing considered part of the stabilizing step? Or is it just a step which is "normally" done while stablizing?

I guess you could look at it either way, but yes, I (IMO) agree with you, it's always something I do as a part of the stabilizing step. You are adding possibly two things and getting rid of another.

Last edited:
I am always degassing the wine when I rack b/c I use vacuum. After racking when dry, I also continue to degas using vacuum as degassing aids the clearing process.

I agree, robie. There are different types of stabalizing; microbial/spoilage and refermentation in the presence of sugar.

I read the OP's question to be referring to stabalizing against referment.

I don't think of k-meta as a singular stabalizing step as it should be added as many times as is needed along the way.

I don't think of k-meta as a singular stabalizing step as it should be added as many times as is needed along the way.

That's a very good point. Thanks for pointing it out. It's only the first time in the post-fermentation stabilizing process. That's why I love my free SO2 test setup. Lots of chemicals, but well worth it to KEEP it stabilized.

That's a very good point. Thanks for pointing it out. It's only the first time in the post-fermentation stabilizing process. That's why I love my free SO2 test setup. Lots of chemicals, but well worth it to KEEP it stabilized.

I have my so2 additions down pretty good by calendar and/or racking. I run an A/O prior to the final racking in prep for bottling so I can make an exact addition then.

I spot check wines that have been aging for an extended period with A/O too. So far I haven't had any that tested outside of the range I expected them to be in.

I have my so2 additions down pretty good by calendar and/or racking. I run an A/O prior to the final racking in prep for bottling so I can make an exact addition then.

I spot check wines that have been aging for an extended period with A/O too. So far I haven't had any that tested outside of the range I expected them to be in.

That's experience!
When you get to know your grapes/wine that well and you get that comfortable with the process, you should be able to have some seriously good results!

Some of us (I) may not ever get to that place, but it won't be from lack of want-to or effort. :p

That's experience!
When you get to know your grapes/wine that well and you get that comfortable with the process, you should be able to have some seriously good results!

Some of us (I) may not ever get to that place, but it won't be from lack of want-to or effort. :p

LOL - It's not THAT hard to do. It's just a matter of consistent handling.

Latest posts

Back