SS Mix/Stir Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttimmer

Reaction score
Last night I used my new SS Mix/Stir to degass for the first time. It produced no foam. I read somewhere to stir in 5-10 seconds spurts without creating a funneling action. Still, no gas produced. I applied the hand-held bottom vacuum like I usually use -- plenty of foam removed from the wine (Tropical Daze).
Any suggestions?

Describe the bubbles from the vacuum...even with no gas left to pull, under vacuum, you get bubbles.

Have you tested via the old-fashioned put some wine in a test tube, cover with thumb, shake, release, if you hear 'pffft' you still have dissolved CO2?

At first, very easy to get foam. After some time of working the pump, the bubbles get bigger and it takes more to pull them to the surface, that is when I stop. I have heard of the shake the test tube method, but I didn't think of that. I just couldn't imagine no gas to remove 1 wk from pitching the yeast. It foamed like crazy the the primary, so I guess it is possible.

Latest posts

Back