WineXpert Specific Gravity at time of primary to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fish oil is fantastic for high colestrol also drink your wine and everyone elses too ha ha.......also cranberry juice ,berries ect is good too.

I know there aren't many fruit flies this time of year, but after the fruit fly incident of last year, I'd keep a neutral smelling solution(or at least stinky)like K-Meta in there. I had a prssure change and the airlock like you have filled with some apple wine from the carboy. I left it there not thinking anything ill of it. After all nothing could get in the airlock. The air pressure changed again and all of a sudden the wine went back in the carboy. When I saw that I figured I had better dump it and refill with fresh. I didn't think any more of it until 4 months later when I went to seeeten it. I found-if memory serves me correct- 5 wine pickled fruit flies! I was going to bottle it then, but I still haven't another 3 months later. I'm waiting to see if I get 6 gallons of apple wine vinegar.
smiley11.gif

I think I would double check the instructions to see if they really say to fill with wine
smiley24.gif

Huh, Ive never heard of this but would rather stick with water, k-meta or vodka.

smiley36.gif
OMG, I'm an idiot! - I have read, and re-read, and re-read those instructions and saw the same thing everytime - not the BUNG!! ---to use to top off the carboy, water or pmb in the airlock - - - - duh - I have fixed the problem - That's ok right? using the pmb solution to put in the airlock??

Ok. you must think I drink WAY too much wine - I can't seem to type or read! I meant, that the instructions were talking about filling up the carboy to within 2 inches of the bung, with the reserve wine - and water or one of your suggestions for the airlock. Actually, I am drinking a nice Black Opal Shiraz - I can't wait, until I have all my own wine to drink!

The best part of that littleslip-up is that you will remember it now forever. Gotta love learing from little mistakes-it's the big ones that hurt!
smiley3.gif

Back