Sparkolloid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
Just for the record I hate Sparkolloid. It clears the wine OK but it leaves the softest, most easily disturbed sediment on the bottom I have ever seen. I mean just touch the carboy and you have a swirling cloud of sediment messing up your clear wine.

I would think that is a good thing ?

Just remember to tilt your carboy several days prior to racking

Gently hold the racking cane and gradually lower it as not to suck up the light sediment

Don't worry about getting every drop as you will definitely pull in sediment at the end of the transfer

Never move your carboy just before a transfer - 24 hours prefered.

I agree Thig. I've sucked up Sparkolloid sediment way before I got near the bottom of the carboy. I only use Superkleer now.

I used to use sparkolid but after i got a pretty good surplus of wine i am now able to make 50 to 60 gallons in september with fresh grape juice in various variates and let them age for about a year with several racking and degassings throughout the year and i don't need to use any clearing agents as the wine is perfectly clear by the time i bottle it.

I used to use sparkolid but after i got a pretty good surplus of wine i am now able to make 50 to 60 gallons in september with fresh grape juice in various variates and let them age for about a year with several racking and degassings throughout the year and i don't need to use any clearing agents as the wine is perfectly clear by the time i bottle it.

This is pretty much what I do, Carl. I bulk age reds for at least a year and whites for at least six months, both with a couple of rackings and sulfitings along the way. Once in a while I find a problem white which I will hit with Sparkoloid, but that is by far the exception.

Back