Sparkloidd or Super Kleer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arh13p

Reaction score
I would like to know everyone's preference for clearing and why! Pros and cons to both. I have used sparkloid with good luck and tried super kleer for the first time and worked very quickly! just wondering what everyone prefers. Thanks

I've always used super kleer. Its faster. I am trying isingglass (or something like that) and am not impressed with the fact it takes 2 weeks to clear. I may filter this batch and put super kleer in it. Not happy with the other.

Super kleer can. It has some shellfish bits in it. It's a good idea to not put off racking, but it's rare (especially in larger batches).

I use bentonite. I like that it's natural and doesn't effect flavor, though it's not the most effective.

Well this is what I did: I tried super Kleer and racked it In 36 hrs added my "cloudy" wine to top off the carboy. I will now let sit for several weeks? Anyone see anything wrong with this?

clearing agents

when all else fails,superkleer will over come all,the best clearing:try agent out there,no cons.

I like to use superkleer if i want to bottle quickly. Sparkolloid has worked great on my fruit wines. I had one batch of skeeter pee go cloudy when I added superkleer. Both work well and have their place. I keep both on hand in the toolbox at all times.

I have not had any problems with Super kleer. Except for one package that had been frozen. Still on the fence with sparkaloid, I have tried it a half dozen times, not real fond of it. I had to follow up with Super Kleer a couple times.

Anything less than6 gallons you might want to use Sparkolloid because you can measure the amount per gallon. I wouldn't use Super Kleer for a one gallon batch.

I use Sparkeloid myself, it does take longer to clear but does not alter the flavor in any way

Used both. Both worked well.
Don't use Superclear anymore. With Shellfish derivatives not sure if they could affect someone with allergies to shellfish (Kinfolk). Never heard of anyone being allergic to clay so I primarily use the sparkeloid

Only drawback for me... sparkeloid seems leave "bottom floaters" in my berry wines that are easily disturbed when moving carboys at rack time so have to move and let carboy "resettle". Tried numerous ways to combat that. Anyone got help for that here??:a1

Everyone knows I'm a Sparkolloid man! It has to be treated gently, as skyrat noted. The lees can be very fluffy. However, it works awesome for fruit wines, having a strong positive charge. It does a great job at neutralizing the repelling charge of organic matter in the wine, allowing it to fall together to the bottom of the carboy.

The longer I get into my brewing experience, the more I dislike using clearing agents. Time and cool temps conquer all. I have about 30 of the super kleer (or equiv) packets from kits. Since this is the one they sell with most of the top end kits, I'd have to go with that. For beer brewing I found that gelatin was awesome, and very fast.

Latest posts

Back