Sparking wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savana123

Reaction score
We all know that wine are special beverages that are being served for auspicious occasions like weddings or other get together. Sparkling wines are mainly prefer by many people and I just got a thought of preparing sparkling wine at home and I got the the recipe here-
- 23 litres (5 gallons) of finished wine
- 285 grams (10 ounces) of corn sugar (Dextrose)
- 30 Champagne bottles
- 30 plastic Champagne stoppers
- 30 Champagne wires

Firstly make a wine any red or white without adding stabilizer and then when the wine is clear and stable rack it into the clean sanitized fermenter(primary) and then filter the wine and then add 285 grams (10 ounces) of corn sugar (Dextrose) and make into a syrup with a little water. Thoroughly mix into the wine. To ensure a good second fermentation, blend one packet of wine yeast in a little water and add to wine i.e.Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast.

Stand the bottles UPRIGHT in a warm dark area (65F-70F) in order to promote fermentation. Agitate bottles several times during the first 3-4 weeks. Leave bottles STANDING UNDISTURBED, for an additional 6-8 weeks or longer to mature. This will also help to compact the sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

Very cool. That seems easy. I will have to try this next go around.

Once it is bottled, how long will it stay good?

Savana it's a little more involved that that and I will be doing a "How To" section on making sparkling wine soon. I don't have the time to go further into detail now but if you are interested in doing that I can help you tomorrow.

FYI, it's a 3 year project for it to be outstanding. A year for okay.

Very cool. That seems easy. I will have to try this next go around.

Once it is bottled, how long will it stay good?

Well, sparkling wine can be kept for a time being as it does not require higher refrigeration otherwise, its bubbly taste may gets affected.

I would add a bit about disgorging...

I do not know if a lot of people actually do this, and I am not sure that (those who do) use this method..........

I try to use recycled champagne bottles. They type used by Corbel are best because they seem to have a longer and thinner neck that what I can get at my local supplier. The thinner neck makes all the difference (IMO).

I riddle the champagne simply by inverting them (cap side down). I built a simple gridwork frame that holds each bottle in this upside down position. I store them this way for about 6 months, giving each bottle a twist-shake every couple of weeks. At the end of 6 months, all the yeast is settled very firmly against the cap.

I then simply put the whole bottle in the freezer for about 2.5 hours. I keep cooling it until i can see ice crystals grow out of the bottle's neck.

When I see this, I quickly upright the bottle and check to see if it is still clear (that none of the yeast made it back into the champagne). If clear, I rip off the cap into a bucket (WARNING: do not wear any good clothes as this WILL splatter. Eye protection is a must during this step) and then add some still wine of the same variety to get the wine level back to an acceptable level (dosage). I then add the cap (unfortunately plastic) and wire.

Once bottled, sp. wine can last years. The flavor doesn't change noticably after you've remove the sediment plug. The flavor changes as it rests upon the sediment in the bottle.

Some makers will let the sediment remain in the bottle for years.

Back