Solid bung or bung with airlock for aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Johnd
Thanks for posting a glass airlock - I would be afraid trying to remove it from a bung, as I broke several standard plastic ones in the bungs.

@bkisel I have observed some of the Spanish vineyards that are using terracotta aging vessels are using saran wrap or some type of visqueen to cover the top of the "cantaros".

@Johnd
Thanks for posting a glass airlock - I would be afraid trying to remove it from a bung, as I broke several standard plastic ones in the bungs.

Hmmm, never had that problem. Whether plastic or glass, I just put a little twisting pressure on them until they turn a bit and then pull them right out of the bung.

GOOD GRIEF!!! Back to original post/question..... To seal off a vessel (bung) or to allow venting (airlock). It would seem that a properly installed and monitored Airlock is still the choice. The wine certainly does not care nor is affected either way which puts it back in the "Personal Preference" arena :slp

It does indeed. When folks come over and see the carboy farm with glass airlocks, some bubbling, they refer to my wine area as "the meth lab"

Just as long as you do not look like this, you'll be OK...

images

:):)

I read the bit in the instructions about using solid bungs so I tried it. I kept walking by and noticing that they had worked loose so I went back to regular S shaped airlocks.

I read the bit in the instructions about using solid bungs so I tried it. I kept walking by and noticing that they had worked loose so I went back to regular S shaped airlocks.

I noticed my bungs working themselves loose too. Then I started drying them and the mouth of the carboy with a towel before inserting them. Then that stopped happening.

Back