Solid bung or air lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thig

Reaction score
I was surprised to read in the latest issue of Winemaker Mag they recommend going to a solid bung after fermentation is over, they said usually from 2 to 4 months.

Is a properly maintained air lock still not as good as a solid bung for aging in a carboy.

I still like using an airlock (mainly the S-style) so I can look at it from time to time to make sure that there is a difference of pressure in the carboy. If the levels are equal - then I night have an air leak - where if I had a bung you would never know. Also if your wine heated up or a large pressure difference happened because of a storm - it may push the bung out and it will leak and you will never know - just my personal experience

I would think if you are going to use a solid bung you need a rubber band or something to keep pressure on the bung, so if pressure pushes it up it would be pulled back into place.

I would think if you are going to use a solid bung you need a rubber band or something to keep pressure on the bung, so if pressure pushes it up it would be pulled back into place.

If you are going thru that much effort - why not just use an air lock then ?

Well I don't know chemistry that well but is it possible there is still more oxygen being absorbed through the air lock than there would be through a solid bung?

I normally don't degass my wine, I leave it in the carboys for a year before bottling at this point they are normally degassed. If I used a solid bung, then my wines would not be degassed. Also, wines expand during a storm, so if you have the solid bung in and have it taped in, now what happens.

Well I don't know chemistry that well but is it possible there is still more oxygen being absorbed through the air lock than there would be through a solid bung?

Can you please explain your theory ?
They are made from the same product ?

On the air locks they are typically a 2 piece mold - there is typically a sharp indicator showing this going up and down - mainly on the S- style. Take a razor knife and remove any unevenness so it is totally smooth - that is the only thing that I can think of the difference between them.

If there was oxygen being absorbed - the air lock would show it then -

They are made from the same product ?

I think Thig means that oxygen may diffuse through the water in the airlock. I have often wondered about this myself. Haven't done any calculations, however,

I use solid bungs on anything that has been in a carboy 8 months or longer. I've never had one pop BUT...I make sure the bung and neck are dry and my basement stays a pretty constant temperature.

I think Thig means that oxygen may diffuse through the water in the airlock. I have often wondered about this myself. Haven't done any calculations, however,

Exactly, I am not a chemist but I know water absorbes oxygen, how else could fish live. I am not trying to prove one over the other, I was just asking.

Julie I meant something similar to a pressure relief valve, let the pressure out and then re-seal.

An S style air-lock allows air in and out. Ergo, it lets more air in than a solid bung, and more air is absorbed by the wine.

I prefer a vented silicone bung. Almost the best of both worlds. It let's air out, and creates a tight seal when sucked in.

This is a good example of why I have created an accessory item for the Allinonewinepump that pulls the air out of the carboy and keeps it under a vacuum till the next time you rack.

So Far I had nothing but positive results yet - will keep you all informed

This is a good example of why I have created an accessory item for the Allinonewinepump that pulls the air out of the carboy and keeps it under a vacuum till the next time you rack.

So Far I had nothing but positive results yet - will keep you all informed

I don't see it on your web page. Do you have a link?

It is still in the testing
If you are interested please leave me your phone number in my pm or email me directly

An S style air-lock allows air in and out. Ergo, it lets more air in than a solid bung, and more air is absorbed by the wine.

I prefer a vented silicone bung. Almost the best of both worlds. It let's air out, and creates a tight seal when sucked in.

Midwest Supplies had these on sale over the weekend, not sure if they still do but I got 12 for $1.73 a piece which is cheaper than the s style air lock.

The only problem I have with the silicon bungs are they really didn't fit my French barrel that I bought it for. Goes in an inch below the staves and gushes the wine out. You really need to have it sterilized and then dried before you use it or it pops out of glass carboys like a ping pong out of... Wait, anyone watch South Park?

Latest posts

Back