Smooth-walled Italian Carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dz-015

Junior
Reaction score
I'm staying up here in London, Ontario for the holidays (yes, up north, I think going the wrong way for the holidays). I visited some wine making stores and I saw something I'd never seen in the states - a smooth-walled 6 gallon Italian carboy. I was excited and thought I'd found some older Mexican-made ones, but it was stamped Made in Italy on the bottom.

Are these truly 6 gallons, or are they 6.25 gallons (liked the ribbed ones)? Anyone in the know?

Thanks!

They are the same as the ribbed ones, but don't vary as much. They hold just a hair more than 23L. Winexpert usually stocks the smooth ones.

That's too bad. I was hoping to pick up several if they were. One thing I've noticed in Canada is there are a lot more used wine making equipment and ~$10-$15 used glass carboys being sold on Kijiji that there are in the states on craigslist, at least in Ohio. Seems like there's quite a bit of turnaround in the hobby up here...

LOL, the hobby was invented here in Canada. Our liquor taxes make it very rewarding to brew your own. Almost everyone that I know has brewed/fermented at one time or another, so yes, there is always good used equipment around here. My last used buy, about 2 years ago, was 15 7 gallon pails, 3 15 gallon demi-johns, 8 6 gallon carboys, about 200 corks, a mini-jet, Portuguese corker, and 3 bags of diversol for $120. Lots of people start, go big, then stop.

I was going to go for two 6 gallon carboys, a 7.8 gallon bucket, a filter pump, hydrometer, and all necessary hoses - for $35. But the wife thought it was a bad deal!

dz-015 said:
I was going to go for two 6 gallon carboys, a 7.8 gallon bucket, a filter pump, hydrometer, and all necessary hoses - for $35. But the wife thought it was a bad deal!

WOW I'd love to be shopping with your wife when she finds good deals. Heck, even following you guys around to pick up you bad deals would be awesome.

Dean,

you could make a pretty penny selling that stuff on Ebay I'm sure....

It's not that she doesn't think it's a bad deal for me, she thinks it's a bad deal for her. She just doesn't appreciate my newfound hobby and thinks I'm spending too much as it is
smiley6.gif
I do have relatives in London who can pick things up for meso I think I'll be scanning the classifiieds up there for a while...

Latest posts

Back