Smoking carboy deal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got you all beat

On Kijiji for $100

6 carboys
2 pails
2 bottle trees
3 bottle rinsers / sanitiser
double bottle washer
minin jet with 21 filter pads
euro filter with pump
SS degasser
Auto Siphon
20 dozen bottles
and racking canes, hydrometers, thermometers ect

love it when people want out

Last edited:
Got you all beat

On Kijiji for $100

6 carboys
2 pails
2 bottle trees
3 bottle rinsers / sanitiser
double bottle washer
minin jet with 21 filter pads
euro filter with pump
SS degasser
Auto Siphon
20 dozen bottles
and racking canes, hydrometers, thermometers ect

love it when people want out

Baller. Nice score.

Nice finds everyone !!
I really like craigslist also - But you do have to check often and those bargains will be there for the you !!

Latest score was three 6 gallon carboys for $50 (I can find 5 gallons all over, 6 gallons have been hard to come by). Came in these cool styro-foam containers and have screw on caps.

Here's the catch though, they were used to store sulphuric acid (I didn't think to ask the concentration). The chemical company the guy works for is getting rid of them as the seals on the caps were lost and they can't replace them. Look super clean, no chips, etc. So I think I need a chemist. Dude said he rinsed it out with deionized water. Anything I should do before using? Any concerns with reactions with well water (w/ a water softerner) and oxiclean? My plan thus far is to rinse the heck out of them with water, then oxiclean and carboy scrub brush, then rinse well.

Also guy said he had like 70 more. Anyone in southern WI interested PM me and I'll get you in touch. My wife would kill me if I bought all 70 carboys...

Wished I was closer, I'd buy 6 or so. I've gotten some of the same bottles in the foam and after stripping the foam off (it was nasty) i use them all the time.

Rinse well, use one step or something and scrub, scrub, scrub, rinse again and find something to put in them :D

Will citric acid neutralize the sulfuric acid? I would be less concerned about the sulfuric acid then I would a dirty old grungy carboy that had crud sitting in it for years.

There should be no problem with the sulfuric acid. When we dispose of glass in the lab we only need to triple rinse it to remove the acid. As a chemist I can't imagine how any sulfuric acid could remain. I would think your carboys will be much cleaner inside than if it held wine or other things.

Could you use a solution of sodium bicarbonate to rinse out the sulfuric? When any fizzing stops, check with pH paper for nuetral, then clean as you would any other carboy.

Nice score Dan....

Acids are highly volatile any residue left behind has probably been redox'd to an inert compound. Clean them well and use. You can always check for the ppm concentration of sulpher dioxide.

Dilution is the solution to pollution!

I'd kill for those demijohns. I search nearly every day and I never find any carboys or Demi's around here. You guys are lucky.

Latest posts

Back