Smoking carboy deal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WI_Wino

Reaction score
Craigslist pays off again. I had a wanted listing for carboys and kept bumping it up every few days. Finally got a response. The guy that responded is diabetic now and is getting out of the wine making. 14, count them 14, 5 gallon carboys w/ airlocks and stoppers plus assortment of caps/corks/chemicals/etc. All for $185. 9 Mexican carboys and 5 old school water jug carboys. Apparently his father made wine in them. All are in good shape, no chips or cracks. A couple have some residue that will require a little elbow grease but I'm pretty stoked. 3 of them are going to my dad and 3 to my brother so 8 left for me. I do mostly kit wines but I'm sure I'll figure out something. Now I need to get my two primaries fired up again!

IMAG0314_zps7cebba6d.jpg

Kijiji is the site in Canada. I just scored 50 750 ml bottles for free. Sure they're filthy... Elbow grease works great on these.
Lot of ppl getting out of wine making... is the torch being passed to a new generation?

Craigslist keeps producing, 3 6 gallon carboys for $40!

I might have to pull the listing here soon...

2 primaries? You need some buckets or a barrel for primaries. You also need to graduate to real grapes from the kits. Next thing you'll be planting some vines.

Currently have 2 6.5 gallon buckets. Looking to get an 8 gallon for kits with grape packs here shortly. I've been reading through the posts on juice buckets, frozen musts, MLF, etc. Looks interesting :sm

Oh yeah, I'm borrowing an oak barrel from my father that he was neglecting. Needs some TLC but has potential.

Last edited:
They all need to be washed and there is some small staining but not like some of the ones people have tried to sell me. At this point I can afford to be picky.

Is that ice fishing gear on the right? With all that wine you're making, I'll bet your the most popular shanty on the ice next winter.

Yep, good eyes. I typically drill 2 or 3 lines of holes when I ice fish. Then jig up and down until we get on fish. Not much shanty time for me.

I scored two 5gal Mexican carboys and a case of 750ml bottles for $35 the other day. Checking Craigslist is my lunch hour routine.

Latest posts

Back