small brownish bugs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmili

Junior
Reaction score
i have four different vines (mars, flame, thompson, champanelle). The flame in particular and the thompson a little as well, i have found numerous small very small brownish bugs on a couple of the new leaflets. the thompson i found one group, the flame two or three. on the thompson i saw small blacking ants appearing maybe to eat them but not sure (there also wasnt as many on that bunch). i scraped most of them off on one of the flame leaflets and just plucked the leafs off. any idea on what they are? almost looked like mites that didnt move but had a hard time finding anything on them? also, is it serious or are they not a big problem?

Without a picture it is next to impossible to ID them. A couple things lead me to believe they could be aphids. First you say they are on the new leaves. This is the preferred feed of the aphids since they are so succulent. Next you say there were black ants next to them. Believe it or not the ants actually farm the aphids. They are there to get the honeydew produced by the aphids- basically aphid poo. They aren't a serious problem in samll numbers but if allowed to reproduce unchecked, they can create a sticky mess. If they become bothersome, Malathion will get rid of them or you can use fruit tree spray(contains malathion).

The problem could be something else so a picture would help.

honestly, that may be it, cause i noticed ants there but they never actually would eat them, ill check out the stuff you told me about, they are not on all of the new leaves, just a couple, and only one since yesterday.

these look alot like them (though much smaller, one or two are bigger than the others), i dont have near as many than in this pic, maybe 5-20 on a new leaf.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/images/636134320Edited by: bmili

That's probably it then. They give live birth some yes some are smaller than others. Only serious if they get out of control. They are piercer/suckers so the damage goes mainly unnoticed until the sticky mess they create.

Latest posts

Back