Small batch recommendations?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
I'd like to get the out-laws (my in-laws) a three gallon or so kit. They're in their 80's and a 5 gal kit is too heavy (glass carboys and all). My FIL's dad used to make 250 gal per summer and all his relatives would come from Brooklyn to "visit" and drink free wine. My FIL has expressed interest in making wine again. Any small-ish batch recommendations? Their wine of choice is Gallo Hearty Burgundy, BTW.

Hmmm, 1 gal is the size they buy. Funny, Gallo HB is only available in 3/4 and 1 gal bottles (joking). So three gal might be best. Kit X3? Gotta do more research...

A regular kit is 6 gal. or 23 liters . That is not to much after making 250 gallons per summer . For lighter weight he could use 2 x 3 gallons of better bottles or just a one gallon glass carboys . He could also use 2 fermenting buckets if he has to .
I am not sure what blend Gallo Hearty Burgundy is . :b

A regular kit is 6 gal. or 23 liters . That is not to much after making 250 gallons per summer . For lighter weight he could use 2 x 3 gallons of better bottles or just a one gallon glass carboys . He could also use 2 fermenting buckets if he has to .
I am not sure what blend Gallo Hearty Burgundy is . :b
The 250 gallons was my FIL's father and that was back in the day when he (my FIL) was much younger. I'll have to do some more research.

Split a 6 gallon kit. Get an extra yeast packet. Check the kit, but it is normally EC-1118.

The mid range kids are 12 liters of concentrate (roughly 3 gallons).
Divide the concentrate equally between two 5 gallon fermenting pails
Dilute to 3 gallons.
Pitch yeast into each pail
Get 3 gallon carboys.

Alternative:
If FIL has space to dedicate to wine making, then get an All-in-One and glass carboys.

Place fermenting pail where you want it for the entire fermentation period.
Use small siphon to move Concentrate to Fermenting pail.
Follow fermenting instructions.
Use AIO to move wine from Pail to Carboys.
If you have to move the Carboys, then get 3 gallon glass carboys (or 1 gallon glass jugs).

With the AIO, you never have to lift full pails or full carboys.

Note: Port kits are 3 gallons with no dilution
Note2: Premium kits are 18 liters (4.5 gallons) and you can be the nice SIL to move the kit for the FIL.

Last edited:
Winexpert has several specialty kits for making desert style wines like port, ice wine and sherry that make 3 gallon batches.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Back