Slow fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall

Reaction score
Let me start by saying when I started this batch I had no hydrometer and I promptly broke it when I got it so I have no numbers for this batch. I started with 3/4 gallon Apple Juice, 2-12oz sweetened Apple Juice concentrates, 4 cups of sugar, 1 cup blueberries. I mixed and shook it, added 1.5g 71b-1122 dry . 24 hours later nothing was happening so I activated 1.5g 71b-1122 and added it to the must. 24 hours later it was bubbling slowly. I thought it might be rich in sugar causing the slow fermentation so I took top off and let fresh air get in then capped it and shook vigorously. I've done this a few times and each time it stops bubbling for about 12 hours. It's 10 days old and has a strong alcohol smell. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where in the process it is and what I should do next? P.S. I have 2 hydrometers coming in the mail.

Last edited:
What is the temp of the must?

Did you add any nutrient in?

What were your PH/TA levels?

These can all play a part in your fermentation speeds.

10 days - there is a good chance you are close to being finished - w/o SG readings it is hard to say how close to being finished it is.

IMO - w/o SG readings at this point - and it has been 10 days - and assuming you are not doing a cold ferment.

I would stir it good - rack to a secondary and put an airlock on it - take an SG reading when you get your hydrometer - if it is consistent for 3 days - you are complete...

What is the temp of the must?

Did you add any nutrient in?

What were your PH/TA levels?

These can all play a part in your fermentation speeds.

10 days - there is a good chance you are close to being finished - w/o SG readings it is hard to say how close to being finished it is.

IMO - w/o SG readings at this point - and it has been 10 days - and assuming you are not doing a cold ferment.

I would stir it good - rack to a secondary and put an airlock on it - take an SG reading when you get your hydrometer - if it is consistent for 3 days - you are complete...
Temp is 78f. No nutrients added. Hydrometers due to arrive tomorrow. It should read 1.000 when complete, is this correct?

It can read lower - but when your SG is less than1.000 for 3 days - that would be considered done..

Latest posts

Back