Skeeter Yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
I just finished making some hard blueberry cider. I used Fermentis S-04 yeast. It started at 1.08 and it finished at 1.02. Just the right amount of sweetness left. I added some corn sugar at the end and bottled in flip-tops. It's a little carbonated and very easy drinking.

If I used the same yeast for SP I'm guessing it would end up about the same and no need to sorbate & back sweeten?

I could then carbonate in the bottle like the cider and not have to worry about it fermenting to dry and making bottle bombs.

Is this a safe assumption?

I really do not know, Rob, but something in the back of my head says if you are planning on it happening that way it won't. The only thing is you can try it and if it ferments dry, you can still sweeten it back and then carbonate. If it stops at 1.002, and you bottle it with a little priming sugar and yeast, wouldn't the yeast try and ferment the rest of the sugar as well as the priming sugar?? If so, does that spell bottle bomb? Good luck with it, Arne.

This particular yeast only does about 75% of the available sugar which is why it stopped at 1.02 for the cider. Added the priming sugar started it again but then it stops at the same level again.

Just wondering what the experts here had to say? I'm only speculating and basing it off of 1 batch.

That is cool. Wonder how they get it to stop at about 75% and wonder how the yeast knows it is down to about 25% and it can stop now. If it works that way, it is really neat, just can't figure out how it might work. Arne.

Latest posts

Back