Size of carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiddall

Reaction score
I just purchased 4 different glass carboys and measured their capacity by weight when full of water at 15 C. Here are the results if anyone is interested:

23 L Italian smooth:
29.36 kg full
5.860 kg empty
23.48 L

23 L Italian reinforced:
29.77 kg full
6.000 kg empty
23.75 L

18.9 L Mexican reinforced:
25.58 kg full
5.935 kg empty
19.62 L

11.3 L Italian reinforced:
15.75 kg full
4.055 kg empty
11.68 L

All are high by about 400-700 mL when full to the top. When fillled to the bottom of the neck they are about 100 ml less.

Last edited:
Thanks, JS

That's useful information. And something that I'd probably never get around to doing myself. So, thanks again.

That is very nice. Thanks. However glass carboys are all slightly different. Some may be an ounce larger or smaller. If I only knew which of mine were larger/smaller I'd use that to my advantage.

That is very nice. Thanks. However glass carboys are all slightly different. Some may be an ounce larger or smaller. If I only knew which of mine were larger/smaller I'd use that to my advantage.

Yes, very true. By no means was I trying to imply that everyone's glass carboys were going to be just like mine. This was more of a reference point for a variety of different makes, sizes and styles. Perhaps the most usefuly thing I found is that they only varied from each other buy a few hundred mL and none were more than about 4% from the rated capacity. All in all that is much tighter tolerance than I had expected.

Last edited:
Great info ifin you were brought up using the metric system but Greek to many of us Southerners.
smilie.gif
[Yeah, yeah I know Google for an online Metric to English calculator.]

Great info ifin you were brought up using the metric system but Greek to many of us Southerners.
smilie.gif
[Yeah, yeah I know Google for an online Metric to English calculator.]

LOL, here's an "Americanized" version. Keep in mind that all of these carboys are made in countries that use the "Greek" measurement system so none of them are necessarily intended to line up exactly with US gallons.

Approx. 6 gal Italian smooth:
6.20 gal

Approx. 6 gal Italian reinforced:
6.27 gal

Approx. 5 gal Mexican reinforced:
5.18 gal

Approx. 3 gal Italian reinforced:
3.09 gal

Last edited:
LOL, here's an "Americanized" version. Keep in mind that all of these carboys are made in countries that use the "Greek" measurement system so none of them are necessarily intended to line up exactly with US gallons.

Approx. 6 gal Italian smooth:
6.20 gal

Approx. 6 gal Italian reinforced:
6.27 gal

Approx. 5 gal Mexican reinforced:
5.18 gal

Approx. 3 gal Italian reinforced:
3.09 gal

Thank you. Your really didn't have to do that even though I was kinda wishing you would.

Joking aside this wine making hobby has helped me get a feel for smaller metric volumes. What with 9L, 10L, 18L kits; with 23L (supposedly) carboys, 375ML, 750ML and 1.5L bottles; 50ML yeast re-hydration etc.

Back