Should I use the oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I got a barrel for Christmas and my winery series cab came in today. Should I use the oak that came with the kit and also put it in the barrel? I also ordered 2 vino itailano kits today just to get the barrel going. I was also wondering if I could re-use the grape pack for one of these cheaper kits?

I got one for Christmas as well. It arrived early though. I just finished racking the first batch into it about an hour ago. It was a winery series super Tuscan. I did use the oak for the primary, but don't plan to use any beyond that.

I wouldn't add the secondary oak in the first batch. You'll want to monitor that first batch carefully and rack it as soon as it's oaked to your liking. After 3-4 batches go through it, you'll notice it doesn't produce much oak character. There isn't a single, simple answer to your question though. You need to feel your way through.

I Use the oak powder in the primary especially if it is American oak for layering. The powder is used mainly for mouth feel. I used the oak powder on the first kit through my barrel which is the Shiraz/cab/petit verdot. I keep all other oak for when the barrel is neutral. On wednesday it will be three weeks and I am monitoring it weekly to make sure I don't over oak it. The oak does fade while aging in the carboy and I will run this kit through the barrel again for micro ox.

Back