Should I take advantage of free grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbalter

Reaction score
I personally am not a fan of dry wines, and I've read that Mustang grapes make great dry wines. However......I have a friend who got me a lead on wild mustang grapes. A large amount of them, apparently. Any suggestions on making Mustang grapes into something for a sweet tooth palate?

You could just share you free grapes with someone ethat likes dry wines.

I too have a sweet tooth, and have sampled many wines that are "traditionally dry wines" and IMHO nearly all are better with a squirt of Simple Syrup. ;)

Ive had this varietal lightly sweetened and it was good this way also.

lol @ madmikes!! I think I'm going to do as suggested and backsweeten, although I'm nervy about it because this will be my second wine ever. Not certain about shipping fruit half a country away. Knowing my luck, you'd get spoiled grapes....or raisins...or mush in a bag. Grape harvesting begins at sunrise on Friday. Pray for a lack of 8 legged critters. The last harvest I helped with was rife with them and I'm phobic. Spent the entire morning jumping back two feet and squealing like a little girl, then blushing while my hubs laughed at me. I kept after it, but the intestinal fortitude required was exhausting! :D

You sharing with any local Houstonians....I tried making some last year. the birds beat me to the first large crop I found. When I found another place that was loaded, I picked and picked and picked. Unfortunately, after about a year I dumped it. I think I picked too early or the wild aspect just had to much acid in it. It tasted like stomach acid.....like when you throw up?? I'll be trying some wild muscadine this year but I think I'm going to stay away from the mustang. Good luck. The ones I picked last year where on the northside of houston....spring. I'm sure they are back this year if you want to know where to find some more.

You sharing with any local Houstonians....I tried making some last year. the birds beat me to the first large crop I found. When I found another place that was loaded, I picked and picked and picked. Unfortunately, after about a year I dumped it. I think I picked too early or the wild aspect just had to much acid in it. It tasted like stomach acid.....like when you throw up?? I'll be trying some wild muscadine this year but I think I'm going to stay away from the mustang. Good luck. The ones I picked last year where on the northside of houston....spring. I'm sure they are back this year if you want to know where to find some more.
Stomach acid?? I dont think I will drinking your wine :)

The only caution I would sugest when sweetening a red wine is to back sweeten within a few weeks of bottling. Add your kmeta and sorbate at this time. Sorbate taste will come though much quicker with a red than a white wine so make sure you don't over do it.

I got what we think is 50 lbs. They are fat and juicy but a bit of a bitter aftertaste. Pics to post soon. I went to a tiny little town called Luling, TX to pick. It was a blast. But I learned the hard way to wear gloves with mustangs. Itchy hands are no fun. I'm saving some for jelly too. :)

Latest posts

Back