Should I Stir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xandra

Reaction score
:u Racked my 6 gallons of beet must off the lees into secondary today, came out 5 gallons even. SG was 1.015 using the first hydrometer I bought, and the new hydrometer I just got, well, it sunk. So, not really knowing which is true, and getting tired of having fermenting juice in my kitchen, I decided to just go ahead and rack it to the carboy, with an airlock of course. I guess it really wasn't done fermenting, as I'm getting an airlock bubble every 2 seconds. I'm wondering, this being the case... should I still stir it daily like I was doing with the must? Or should I just leave it alone, forget it's there for a couple weeks, then test it and re-rack? Trying to do this right, rather than old-school, so I can become more proficient and make good fruit/vegetable/off-the-wall wines without having to become a chemist in the process! (I'm not wired for the hard sciences, unfortunately) Any thoughts or suggestions that might help this batch turn out decent? Oh... tasted it, and yuck... nothing like the original juice tasted! But I know that'll change with time, not a concern. Thanks, all! BTW... I LOVE this forum!! What a great group, incredible knowledge and I swear it'll take a lifetime to get through all the posts!! Learning every day, thanks to you all!!

No need to stir at this point. Let it ferment to dry and transfer it again. A bubble every two seconds indicates your ferment is slowing so 1.015 sounds about right.

To stir or not to stir. Either way at this gravity can be mute. You stir to move yeast around for nutrients, oxygen and sugar. You could remove the sir lock if its bubbling extensively.

I traditionally will stir until 1.000 then add 1 teaspoon of super ferment, stir well then airlock. It is done in 2-3 days.

By not stirring you are allowing sediment to fall to bottom. With excess CO2 in your must that will keep sediment in suspension longer.

If it is going well I would either leave it alone or stir one more time tomorrow then airlock and let it finish.

Glad you got a decent hydrometer. If you do stir in the carboy watch you don't get a volcano of wine and CO2

If you have 5 gallons now you may need to get some wine to top off after you clear.

Latest posts

Back