Should I lower my pH

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdonohue

Reaction score
37 gallons of Petite Syrah.. Right after crush pH was 3.39, bumped it up but overshot my goal of 3.6, and landed on 3.66.. I do not check for TA.. I always MLF my wines, and for some reason i wasn't thinking at crush time and I raised my pH pre fermentation, forgetting that MLF would have raised it naturally to my target range.. Fermentaion is complete, I have pressed, and will be rackin off gross lees tomorrow..Should I lower it now to 3.5 and start MLF or wait to see where it lands after MLF and lower it then if need be.. also how many tsp/gal of tartaric to lower pH by .1? thanks

Last edited:
PH of 3.66 is just slightly on the high end, so I would wait and adjust later if needed. I believe 1 g/l per gallon will lower ph by .1

I think you should check your TA. Lowering your Ph is good but my goal would be to balance the wine. It sounds like you have a really nice Ph meter that checks to two decimal places thus checking TA would be fairly simple.

Your PH will become lower after fermentation and press. So test again before you do anything.

Personally, I would NOT adjust it more. You fiddle with the acids too much going back and forth and you can end up with a really unbalanced wine in the end. Your pH is just fine for a petite sirah. After MLF it may be a little higher, but still should be fine. If you find it still flat then you could always bump it with must a little tartaric.

Latest posts

Back