Should I fortify? (And preference?)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bent-Brewer

Junior
Reaction score
I just got a Chocolate Raspberry Port kit in and proceeded to pull the trigger on the Black Forest a couple days later. If I fortify, I would probably just use a single bottle of brandy in a 3-gallon batch, and rack onto that until the carboy is topped off. I see a lot of back-and-forth on fortification; how people feel everclear doesn't blend as well, how brandy will change the flavors, etc...

Since these are my first port kits (plenty of beer/cider under my belt, but only 1 wine so far), I'm curious how people feel about the addition of brandy, especially in the Chocolate Raspberry / Black Forest kits. Does it improve the flavor/character (or how would you say it changes), would you recommend it, etc? If so, what brandy would you recommend?

I have no personal experience to go on here, but am looking forward to changing that.

Edit:
If I had looked onto the next page instead of searching Google, I would have found my answers:
  1. Most people recommend fortifying with E&J VSOP Brandy.
  2. You get about 1%ABV fortification from a 750mL brandy added to 1 gallon of port.
  3. The addition of the brandy will lighten the color and give a warmer feel to the port. Flavor change depends on the amount added. Common sense stuff (though I guess I'm looking more for opintions of "would you recommend it".)

Last edited:
I like using everclear - but I add alot of oak to the everclear for over a month prior to using it. In my opinion - it does not drastically change the taste of the port you are making, it only enhances it.

Back