Short Mead Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbrewer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have finnished one of these kits a Blackberry and it turn out ok. It was a little harsh at first and with a few weeks of aging in the fridge has mellowed out some. Right now I have a Cherry version in a secondary right now which according to the directions you are not susposed to do. The question is should I let it go longer than the 14 days listed in the directions? It was pretty sweet when I racked it. They say not to use any additives with their products, but thinking of using sorbate to keep it sweet. I put a 1/4 teaspoon in but, that did not stop it. Has anyone else used these kits?

Look up ambrosiafarm short mead kits. They are oly a hour from my house.

Thanks'
Dave

Using sorbate and or sulfites does not stop a fermentation and could just stress the yeast and cause off flavors and tastes! Let it finish fermenting and then add tye sorbate and sulfite and sweeten back.

I should have known that from reading the forums here. The directions say to let if go for 14 days then filter and bottle and refrigerate for up to 8 weeks. I just think it not at it full potential that soon.

Thanks
Dave

Not even close to full potential IMO. Meads actually take longer to come around typically.

Thanks everyone, I think I will let finnish out then sweeten and bottle it. I sure it will be way better thean the first kit we did.

Thanks everyone, I think I will let finnish out then sweeten and bottle it. I sure it will be way better thean the first kit we did.
Finish the ferment, then sorbate/sulphite during racking, leave for a week and then think about back sweetening.......

regards

fatbloke

I am going to age the last kit I have. It is cherry I hope it turns out well.

I should have known that from reading the forums here. The directions say to let if go for 14 days then filter and bottle and refrigerate for up to 8 weeks. I just think it not at it full potential that soon.

Thanks
Dave

"then filter" that's the key. If you use a fine enough filter, you strip the yeast out of the liquid, which will definitely halt fermentation.

A lot of wine guys have filters. Just as many do not :)

its a bad assumption on the kit instruction's part. let it ferment fully. backsweeten if you gotta.

I am going to let it go for awhile and see how it changes. If I go to filter it what kind of filter should I use. I just don't have alot of cash laying around to buy a mini jet or anything like that just for one gallon of wine.

Dave

Latest posts

Back