RJ Spagnols Sherry Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbenus

Reaction score
Making my first sherry and a little nervous. This is the Cru Specialty Craem Style Sherry, 24502. The instructions say do not add water which yielded about 2.75 gallon in the primary. There's a 1.5 liter fpack, so with my low math skills this should come out to the 3 gallons it's supposed to. My question is on SG. The paper instructions give SG for a port and ice wine, but not for sherry. I went online and the SJS site gives an SG of 1.020-1.030 for Port or Sherry Style.
My reading is 1.158. I doublechecked it with a second hydrometer and got 1.156. Sweet sweet must. Should I be concerned about the SG? I just want to make sure I get this one right.

No, that's right on. I did a double take when I last made a Sherry kit. And the f-pack is like a caramelized sugar syrup. Interestingly, the Cellar Craft cream sherry kit comes with two yeast packets, and quite a bit of oak dust for the initial fermentation.

I can't imagine how bad it would be if someone screwed up and added 3 gallons of water!

Thanks Bart.
I'm doing this pretty much to the letter. I have seen a couple of posts about adding oak. And I think the SJS site actually suggested adding some brandy. But I think I'll pass. But It's going to be dang sweet, and strong. Don't know much about sherry, but I'm guessing sherry glasses must be small. Do you drink this chilled?

I made the W.E. Sherry kit years ago (still have some). That kit came with instructions for making it either the cream style or dry way and like you I wanted the cream style and must say it came out great that way. It too was an all juice 3 gallon kit with no water added.It had a lot of oak dust also and that dust melded right into the flavor flawlessly.

herbenus said:
Thanks Bart.
I'm doing this pretty much to the letter. I have seen a couple of posts about adding oak. And I think the SJS site actually suggested adding some brandy. But I think I'll pass. But It's going to be dang sweet, and strong. Don't know much about sherry, but I'm guessing sherry glasses must be small. Do you drink this chilled?

Bill,

It is best a little chilled, and just a little gives a great taste. I haven't tried it, but over a little ice might be good, to reduce the syrupiness. Folks have described it as better than dessert, due to its caramel flavor and sweetness. It's a little smoky and vanilla flavors, but overall caramel is the strongest. My wife and I love it, and hoarded the last bottle for months before cracking it open about six months ago; now I have another kit bulk-aging, but it's not a big seller from what I gathered from George.

I agree its not a big seller as 1 batch will last quite some time!

I figured that too. I'm going to order some 375 ml bottles as I can see a bottle lasting a while when opened.

Latest posts

Back