Sheriffs at the door at midnight

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is never a good thing! Wednesday night we woke up to banging on our front door followed by someone rapping on a side window. By the time we got out of bed they were pounding on the spare bedroom window. I peeked out, saw two Sheriffs then went to the front door to meet them. It seems the Whittier PD (where our business is located) had the San Dimas Department come out to let us know our building had been burglarized. After a "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" to the office to survey the damage and secure the building and a "Dodge the Drunks" drive back at 2:00 in the morning we crashed and decided to deal with it all on Thursday.

I think anyone who has had their home or car or property violated understands the mixed feelings of frustration and anger it causes. We lost our iMacs and some accessories (we own a graphic arts business) but have insurance that will cover the majority of expense, I hope. Most of the day was spent cleaning up, every desk and file cabinet drawer was opened and dumped. All the shelves in the warehouse rummaged through and just the mess of everything being tossed about. It's just stuff and I'm fortunate to have back-ups of about 30 years of art, minus the last few weeks, stored safely to re-install in the new systems, BUT, IT STILL PISSES ME OFF that there are people out there that lack even a gram of respect or consideration for anyone other than themselves.

Thanks all for letting me rant, ok karma, time to do your thing!
Mike

.....and on a glass half full note, since I can't really do anything productive here today, I'm going to head home before lunch, tend to my wines in primaries, secondaries and in a few Drinking Glasses too for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Cheers!

Why people feel they have the right to take your stuff that you WORKED so hard for boggles my mind. It is such a violation of your world sorry you are dealing with this!!!,

Sorry this happened, Mike. It just plain sucks. Glad you are insured and nobody was hurt.

I hope you enjoyed the afternoon with your wines.

I know the feeling my home was burglarized 3 weeks ago he took money jewelry laptops and trashed my house. The cops picked him up from fingerprints and DNA we even have him on video from across the street going in my backyard but the DA says he don't have a good case that the fingerprints could have been there for years he said he went in my backyard to take a leak. I feel your pain Kraffty just glad no one was home.

Mike -
I really feel bad for what you are going thru at this moment in your life-

On a positive side you could of been in the business while it was being robbed. The burglar could of had a gun and this really could of had a much worse ending - I am glad that you both are OK !

I recently saw my neighbors house get destroyed by fire - I was reminded to take a walk - thru the house with a video camera and give the tape to the insurance company - for safe keepings.

I know the feeling my home was burglarized 3 weeks ago he took money jewelry laptops and trashed my house. The cops picked him up from fingerprints and DNA we even have him on video from across the street going in my backyard but the DA says he don't have a good case that the fingerprints could have been there for years he said he went in my backyard to take a leak. I feel your pain Kraffty just glad no one was home.

WOW....... just.....WOW!

Mike, sorry to hear this. I don't understand why they have to trash a place. It's bad enough they broke in and are stealing but why trash it also. Has to be kids or idiots on drugs which it probably is.

So sorry about your loss Mike glad it was only stuff but know how violated it feels to have your stuff taken. Did you have your Mac set up in iCloud "Find my Mac" You can lock the machine and even wipe it and possible find our where it is if you did. Now might be the time to think about a security (video) system if you didn't have one. Good pictures can make all the difference in finding those aholes.

Glad you and your better half are both OK more than anything!

I hear ha, we had our home broken into about five years ago. They trashed our display cabinet with some antique pistols we had in it, (one was my husband's service revolver when he was a Police Chief) stoled the pistols, destroyed my husbands gun cabinet, stole the ammunication, ignored the Xbox, walked past out two laptops, ignored our son's xbox, stole his $5 on his dresser, ransacked thru all my drawers, stoled my jewelry and $6 in pennies I had wrapped on my dresser.

I was pissed! It is the worst feeling imaginable! Someone went thru my personal items!

It turned out to be these two middle age guys stealing items to sell for drugs, it was a five county robbery over a three month period.

They got 15 to 20 years and were out within 18 months!

I know that feeling. Things will get better. But it does feel like a personal violation.

Thanks everyone, all the comments really did help to feel better. What really felt better was getting in the new equipment and learning that "Time Machine" from apple really works. I had my entire system, docs, apps and all my settings back in place and running exactly like the afternoon before it was stolen in less than 2 hours. New systems always take me weeks if not months to completely iron out. Here's my new "baby" iMac 27 5000 retina display with 32 gigs ram and 1T disk, really makes working on graphics nice.

Installers are just now finishing up with a complete monitored alarm system, adding locks to all interior doors and I added Kensington locks to the Macs and external drives. More power to them if they can get to this stuff again!
Thanks again all, Mike

IMG_1052.jpg

Here's my new "baby" iMac 27 5000 retina display with 32 gigs ram and 1T disk

Nice. Solitaire should really scream on that baby! :)

You've got a nice setup there. It'd be overkill for me, but in your line of work, great to have. :try I'd still enjoy having something like that though.

Latest posts

Back