SG question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loxalibations

Reaction score
When blending in sugar to raise SG I missed the mark and overshot slightly ( 1.1 instead of 1.09). Knowing yeast will die once alch level reaches a certain point, will this just make a really sweet product? (assuming it turns out at all..this is my first attempt).

Last edited:
I guess that depends on the yeast you used. If it was EC-1118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee you will be fine

cheers

If you keep the yeast happy, rehydrate it (if you can rehydrate the yeast with Goferm you will create a stronger population) prior to pitching the yeast, you will create a much larger and stronger population, then add yeast nutrient such as Fermaid K split into two or three applications, this will help to keep the yeast from getting stressed and will help to convert the sugars more efficiently.

What type of wine are you making, and which yeast are you using? How much are you making (how many gallons)?

Another possibility would be staggering yeast, you can stagger another yeast addition, in other words, if your hydrometer tells you that the yeast is slowing down to a crawl with a lot of residual sugar left in the must, you can hydrate a few grams (possibly a packet) of a yeast such as EC-1118 to finish the job.

Tom

Thnx for responses. Used 1 pkg 'red star' wine yeast to make 1 gallonish. I ordered a 1 gal starter kit to test the fermenting waters, so to speak. The direction/recipe book was back ordered so after internet searching & mounting confusion I decided to just go with what I had and a prayer. I did not properly pre activate yeast, but it is bubbling in primary tub. I also held back 1 pt from sugar juice mix whick was hadded back in simmering full batch after Sg measurement. Using Costco CranberryGrape juice (pure juices with added vitamin C and citric acids). 1 tsp nutrient supplement & 2 tsp acid just because. If you think it will help I'll wait a wk and reyeast with another 2 cups fresh juice.

Holding out and adding juice does nothing to help the fermentation. You should prepare the correct amount for the size batch you do, take the sg reading, adjust to the beginning point you want and begin fermentation. You do not keep adding more juice, just because. That will make more wine is all. Begin with what you want to end with (plus a bit to allow for racking losses).

Back