SG question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premedwine

Junior
Reaction score
Its been a few days into the secondary fermentation. The gas bubble has slowed in the air lock. Just wanted to know how often you guys check SG during this process and what my next step is and any other tips. thanks

This probably varies by person, but I wait a week or two after the bubbles are gone (ie no more tiny bubbles running up the sides) to let the gross lees settle and then rack. I don't check the SG until those gross lees are settled and I'm ready to rack, but I also usually wait until the SG is 1.010 to transfer to the secondary, and I transfer a little of the lees, so there is little risk of the fermentation sticking in the secondary. Checking the SG requires exposing the wine to at least a little oxygen, and I hate volatile acid in my wine.

If it's only been a few days, your fermentation is probably not done. Fermentation slows a lot at the end, so that it can seem to take forever (like a week or two) to finish that last bit.

In the seconday I continue to check the SG and stir daily until the SG is where I usually see it when it's bottomed out, for me .997-.995.
Then I wait 3 days, recheck the SG and do not stir. If it's dropped any it will only be 1 or 2 pts. So I let it sit for another 3 days before checking again. During this period I do not stir and find most lees have settled. Then rack very carefully and start stabalization/fining and top it off.
Works for me anyway

Last edited:
I am still pretty new to this, but once its in the the secondary fermenter I leave it alone until I have an idea that it is done. So long as you are planning to ferment until dry I think it is best to limit its exposure to oxygen. That said, if I am removing the airlock for any reason, even if it is to sneak a taste, I take a reading at that time.

I often don't check the SG in secondary until I know fermentation is complete by few bubbles coming up and the wine starts to clear. I check it then to make sure that fermentation is complete.

I am a seasoned winemaker and I only check the SG at the very beginning of the winemaking process so I know how much sugar I neede to add.
I NEVER check it again afther that (unless I am writing a story for my web-log that asks for it).

Transferring the wine to secondary is not dependable on the SG but on the wine itself, Check my stories on this:
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2011/04/pulpgisten-deel-7-pulpfermenting-part-7.html

Luc

You are not going to go wrong by listening to Luc. Check out his website and that will give you something to read about for quite some time. He has many tips for beginners as well as advanced winemakers. When you first look at one of his articles, they are written in Danish. If you scroll down, he has English translations for them. If you read thru them, you are going to learn a lot. Arne.

Well, when I made my first batch of wine I think I was checking it every hour or so! ;)

Concerning Luc, the key here is he is a "seasoned" wine maker and has a great feel for when something is done. I have done it long enough to also have a decent feel about when it is done, although I haven't reached Luc's level by any means. I always give the wine a final SG check, anyway.

Until one gets to Luc's experience level, after the wine has been in secondary for a week or more (see below) and most bubble activity has stopped, I would always check the SG twice, over a 3-day period to confirm the SG is not changing.

If making a kit wine, always leave the wine in secondary "at least" the time recommended in the instructions. Nice characteristics are added to the wine during this time, whether the wine is finished or not.

Latest posts

Back