Mosti Mondiale SG Is acting crazy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Kid

Reaction score
Started MM Riesling on 7/24. SG was1.084. 2days later reading was 1.088! 7/29 reading is still high, 1.07. It is still perking, but we are now 6 days out from start of must. Here's the questin: do I hold what I've got til SG of1.05 or do I proceed with adding yeast nutrients and rack to glass?

Could of just been a mis read of the hydrometer on one of those tests. Was there any difference in temps the first test and the second? I always recommend to follow your hydrometer for the next step and not the "days listed" on the instruction sheet. IMHO you are quite close enough to move to the next step though. I need to put this statement in my Signature line. "You really have to work really really hard to screw up a wine kit" Sounds like you are moving along quite well. Keep us posted.

I've done several Rieslings and everyone one of them fermented MUCH slower then every other wine kit I have made. Once I start a wine I let the hydrometer guide me as to when to proceed to the next step. You may want to double check your hydrometer, sometimes the paper slips. And I agree with Smurfe you really have to work very hard to mess up a kit. Was this an all juice kit?
VC

No, the kit was 10 liter juice kit, Not 23. I am relieved to hear that they are slower. I will go by hydrometer readings instead of the kit instuctions. SG today is 1.06, so I will be fine. probably another day or two and I will rack to glass. Thanks for the advice. Perhaps I did make an error on the first reading, anything is possible, but it freaked me out to see it jump 4 points in the wrong direction!
smiley3.gif

Ok, it was a concentrate and not all juice. This actually happens more than one thinks when they check a gravity. You might not of got it stirred as well as you think when you mixed up the kit and had a higher initial SG than you thought. You really need to mix well to dilute the concentrate. (I use my drill mount stir device I de-gas with to mix mu concentrates up).After a day or so everything blended together and could of gave an actual higher SG reading. Nothing to really fret over though. As long as it is dropping you know it is fermenting. Sounds like all is going well.

Give your hydrometer a good spin when you put it in.... It only takes a few air bubbles stuck on the sides to throw off the reading.

All very good advice and makes a lot of sense.Thanks for the help. Hadnt thought about the concentrate thing! I thought I was losing my mind. It will hit .05 probably by tomorrowand if it is still perking good, I will definitely try to hold out for .04. Thanks again for all of the advice and support. What would us newbies do without the FineWine blog!!

Latest posts

Back