SG 0.92 and still bubbling away?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnychick

Junior
Reaction score
Background:
I have a 1gal batch of strawberry/saskatoon wine that is 22 days old. On day 7 I strained the fruit from it and put it into a 1gal glass jug and a 750ml wine bottle. I had taken an sg reading initially and while I was straining the fruit, but in a moment of mass ineptitude I kept my notes in my work area and totally ruined it. No clue what the sg readings were either time, although i do recall that it seemed a little high when i took the first reading. It didn't concern me at the time because I was fully expecting to make mistakes the first time around, and i just figured if it ended up tasting flammable it would mix with sprite. I used lavalin 1118 yeast (not EVERYTHING vanished from my head when I wrote it down) :re

Now:
It has been bubbling happily ever since. Out of curiosity, I did an sg reading on it today, and it says 0.092. I thought 097-099 were supposed to be around the time that fermentation stops, but it's still bubbling like sprite. It's relatively clear too, enough to see some bubbles coming out of the lees. Again, I'm not horribly concerned, but is this a common thing to happen?

Vikki

Do you really have a hydrometer that goes down to .092??? Or are you at .0992?

My thoughts exactly..

It may be degassing

Do you really have a hydrometer that goes down to .092??? Or are you at .0992?

I'm sure I've made a dimwitted newbie error reading this thing, but there are 5 lines between 1.000 and the "90" above it. The instructions say to read the top of the meniscus, which is sitting dead on the first tick below the 90.

Vikki

For what it is worth, I have made a couple of 6 gallon batches of strawberry. Both fermented dry to .994 and then degassed itself for almost 3weeks after.

Mike

Nice catch Steve, yea, .992 is what I meant to type so Im the dimwitted one but yea I havent seen a hydro that goes down as long as you say but if are down to .992 it should be finishing any minute if it isnt already and just releasing trapped C02 now.

Nice catch Steve, yea, .992 is what I meant to type so Im the dimwitted one but yea I havent seen a hydro that goes down as long as you say but if are down to .992 it should be finishing any minute if it isnt already and just releasing trapped C02 now.

Ok, I guess that makes sense. I'll eventually have to get used to doing subtraction on an upside down vertical, I guess. Has anybody seen one with the numbers printed upside down? I might not get such a headache that way. :p It would help if the instructions that came with a hydrometer weren't written for somebody who already knows how to use it well enough that they don't need instructions. :dg

Thanks again folks!

Vikki

Its all good Vicki. There are somemany little things youll learn with this hobby that will make your wine better or just make making it easier along the way.

Latest posts

Back