Semi-automatic bottle filler 2.0

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will be bottling around 150 gallons / 750 bottles this upcoming season. After trying a few different methods, I found using the vacuum that I have, coupled with a low cost timer worked pretty darn good, but not great and thus the 2.0.

How It Works
The way it works is that the vacuum pump is running all the time. There is a 12v valve that is normally opened, so the pump is pulling in outside air. When I hit the red button, it starts the timer, which closes the valve and the vacuum is routed to the overflow bottle, to the bottle being filled, which is then pulling the wine from a container, which is lower than the table. The timer is set to run for about a second more than it takes to fill the bottle; I want some to go into the overflow bottle. When the stopper is removed from the bottle being filled, it draws the wine back into the container, so the fill height is very consistent.

Original Thread
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47638
A link if you want to see it working.
http://youtu.be/mJcjjAGfulI

2.0 Design
The fundamental concept is solid and worked well. the biggest weakness was in all the fittings and the bungs that went into the bottles. I had a number of different sized tubes and the bungs wouldn't always give me a good seal.
My goal this time around was to eliminate as many connections as possible and try a different seal to the bottle.

Progress To Date
I decided to stain, artificially age and seal the wood with polyurethane. I bought a package of 4 bottle pourers for a few dollars and drilled out the center. I "hard wired" the tubing into the bungs and silicone them in place. The only connection I have to make is this tubing to the T connection.

B96365A5-1F5A-40C7-B298-518B40FEE762.jpg

B4B3DB06-9EFA-4A19-81BD-4A1A2687A2A3.jpg

Yea Steve, pulling the wine into the bottle proved to be a better solution than pushing it in, at least with the pumps I had on hand. I'm really trying to keep it as simple as possible this go around.

How about attaching the stopper to a spring loaded arm? The spring would apply a steady amount of pressure to give you a tight seal. It would also speed up the time it takes to swap a filled bottle for an empty one.

This is a feature of the enolmatic bottle filler...

Thanks for the feedback.
@JohnT, I've looked at that, but for $65, I'd have to exhaust al lot of solutions before those greenbacks would leave my wallet. @vacuumpumpman, I tried the two hole bung and couldn't always get a good seal, but this is my fallback approach; the 1/4 inch line I'm using will plug right into is size bung.
I went and tested my silicone job and I can tell that it is not adhering real well to the tube. I like Tims arm approach, I might have to start the design over to incorporate something like this. I bought a couple silicone bottle caps for <$1 that I'll try punching holes into, to see how that works.

Norcal, very nice work. With your talent, all you need to do now is rig a foot-pedal to activate the button on top, something that would push down and rotate at the same time. (I spent way too much time in Manufacturing Engineering!)

Latest posts

Back